Range Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
My boss had me install a new range today in an old house. When I met him there the old range was gone and we just had the cable coming out of the wall. The cable was #6 SE, XHHW. It only had 2 ungrounded conductors and a grounding conductor, no neutral. I raised concern about not having a neutral because I did not want to use the uninsulated grounding conductor as the neutral. My boss is old school, having been in the building trade for 30 years and he is under the impression that in the past all that was ever used was 2 hots and a ground. I have to admit that I'm sure in small town Mississippi incorrect electrical "knowledge" has been passed down thru the years. My boss cares deeply about the houses he builds but I'm afraid some aspects of his electrical knowledge are flawed based on "this is the way we've always done it". I knew this range was getting installed with the cable provided whether I did it or refused to do it and possibly lose my job so I installed it. The ground strap is in place and the grounding conductor is landed on the neutral terminal. I'm trying to learn the proper ways to do electrical installations and I'm having to fight the incorrect "this is how we've always done it" mentality along the way. What would y'all have done, refuse to do the install and possibly lose a job or realize that it's getting installed whether you like it or not, and therefore go ahead and install it and just know that when you're doing your own work you'll do it the proper way. Thanks for letting me vent.

jumper

So it is legal to use the bare copper ground as the neutral?

Does your install meet the conditions of the exception?

250.140 Frames of Ranges and Clothes Dryers. Frames
of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted
cooking units, clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes
that are part of the circuit for these appliances shall be
connected to the equipment grounding conductor in the
manner specified by 250.134 or 250.138.

Exception: For existing branch-circuit installations only
where an equipment grounding conductor is not present in
the outlet or junction box, the frames of electric ranges,
wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units,
clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes that are part of
the circuit for these appliances shall be permitted to be
connected to the grounded circuit conductor if all the following
conditions are met.

(1) The supply circuit is 120/240-volt, single-phase, 3-wire;
or 208Y/120-volt derived from a 3-phase, 4-wire, wyeconnected
system.

(2) The grounded conductor is not smaller than 10 AWG
copper or 8 AWG aluminum.

(3) The grounded conductor is insulated, or the grounded
conductor is uninsulated and part of a Type SE serviceentrance
cable and the branch circuit originates at the
service equipment.

(4) Grounding contacts of receptacles furnished as part of
the equipment are bonded to the equipment.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Edit: I knew I could use an existing 3 wire, but what I was concerned about was the fact that the third wire was bare copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.