Meter/ Panel combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barndog

If i do an upgrade using a meter/panel combo. I need to use 4 wire comming out of the panel into the panel in the house. 2 hots a neutral and a ground. I believe i am right just didn't know if there are exceptions to this.

thanks in advance

Daja7

don't know what exception there would be or why. 4 wire from breaker in meter panel to sub panel in home. Seperate neutrals and grounds in the home panel.

ToolHound

If i do an upgrade using a meter/panel combo. I need to use 4 wire comming out of the panel into the panel in the house. 2 hots a neutral and a ground. I believe i am right just didn't know if there are exceptions to this.

thanks in advance

Asking about a different subject from your question...is that an MLO panel inside the house ? Just wondering.

ToolHound

thanks in advance

If you woule like a drawing, take a look at this.

Barndog

It would be a upgrade from 100 to 200. He wants to put a combo outside so he can put panel inside house in a spot he can't due to terminated as soon as it enters the house. I figured you would treat panel in house as a sub panel but don't do much residential work. So wanted to check it out to make sure. Thank you

jumper

See 250.24(A)(5)

Load-Side Grounding Connections. A grounded conductor
shall not be connected to normally non?currentcarrying
metal parts of equipment, to equipment grounding
conductor(s), or be reconnected to ground on the load side
of the service disconnecting means except as otherwise permitted
in this article.

jumper

It would be a upgrade from 100 to 200. He wants to put a combo outside so he can put panel inside house in a spot he can't due to terminated as soon as it enters the house. I figured you would treat panel in house as a sub panel but don't do much residential work. So wanted to check it out to make sure. Thank you

That could be subjective, 230.71(A)(1). As such it says:

(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting
means shall be installed at a readily accessible location
either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the
point of entrance of the service conductors.

ToolHound

thanks in advance

Chapter 2 Wiring and Protection
ARTICLE 250 Grounding and Bonding

II. System Grounding

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current Systems.

250.24(A)(5)
(5) Load-Side Grounding Connections. A grounded conductor shall not be connected to normally non?current-carrying metal parts of equipment, to equipment grounding conductor(s), or be reconnected to ground on the load side of the service disconnecting means except as otherwise permitted in this article.

Informational Note: See 250.30 for separately derived systems, 250.32 for connections at separate buildings or structures, and 250.142 for use of the grounded circuit conductor for grounding equipment.

Related Handbook commentary:
Section 250.24(A)(5) prohibits re-grounding of the grounded conductor on the load side of the service disconnecting means. This requirement correlates with the requirement of 250.142(B), which is a general prohibition on the use of the grounded conductor for grounding equipment. This requirement prevents parallel paths for neutral current on the load side of the service disconnecting means. Such parallel paths could include metal raceways, metal piping systems, metal ductwork, structural steel, and similar continuous metal paths that are not intended to be a normal current-carrying conductor.

250.24(B)
(B) Main Bonding Jumper. For a grounded system, an unspliced main bonding jumper shall be used to connect the equipment grounding conductor(s) and the service-disconnect enclosure to the grounded conductor within the enclosure for each service disconnect in accordance with 250.28.

Exception No. 1: Where more than one service disconnecting means is located in an assembly listed for use as service equipment, an unspliced main bonding jumper shall bond the grounded conductor(s) to the assembly enclosure.

Exception No. 2: Impedance grounded neutral systems shall be permitted to be connected as provided in 250.36 and 250.186.

(C) Grounded Conductor Brought to Service Equipment. Where an ac system operating at less than 1000 volts is grounded at any point, the grounded conductor(s) shall be routed with the ungrounded conductors to each service disconnecting means and shall be connected to each disconnecting means grounded conductor(s) terminal or bus. A main bonding jumper shall connect the grounded conductor(s) to each service disconnecting means enclosure. The grounded conductor(s) shall be installed in accordance with 250.24(C)(1) through (C)(4).

Status
Not open for further replies.