GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER RECECEPTACLE WITH ISOLATED GROUND

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to get your professional opinion on how do you handle the requirement and installation of a GFCI receptacle with isolated ground? Is there a GFCI receptacle with IG (orange)? Let me know. Thank you. NT6059.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Welcome to the forum.

Most installations like this probably use GFCI breakers.

But, why would you want to design a circuit like this? Separated grounds are hardly ever actually needed, even though many manufacturers still include them in their instructions.

kwired

Electron manager
I would like to get your professional opinion on how do you handle the requirement and installation of a GFCI receptacle with isolated ground? Is there a GFCI receptacle with IG (orange)? Let me know. Thank you. NT6059.

I did not find isolated ground GFCI in P&S catalog. You could always protect a non GFCI receptacle with an upstream GFCI - either circuit breaker type, another GFCI receptacle or a dead front GFCI.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Jim, isolated ground circuits are pretty much dinosaurs.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Unless these are isolated ground style, the downstream installation will probably not be.

What about just running the isolated ground uninterrupted past the new GFCI? There is no functional requirement for the IG to be connected or terminated there for the GFCI to work.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What about just running the isolated ground uninterrupted past the new GFCI? There is no functional requirement for the IG to be connected or terminated there for the GFCI to work.

Running a dedicated grounding conductor, past a GFCI, to the receptacle's isolated terminal would probably work.

kwired

Electron manager
Running a dedicated grounding conductor, past a GFCI, to the receptacle's isolated terminal would probably work.

That is what I intended, and also why I mentioned the dead front for anybody that doesn't want other possible loads plugged into the circuit should it be intended to be dedicated to specific equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.