Stairway Wall Recepatacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickench

I inspected a single family house today that was being renovated. I came across a stairway that had wall/partition underneath the stairs i.e. not alongside the steps themselves. There was no receptacle. Is there a requirement for a receptacle installed on this wall?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Does it fit within the description of "wall space" in 210.52(A)(2)? Yes. Does it require a receptacle per 210.52(A)? No. The area under a staircase does not fit within the list of rooms to which the rule applies, and I do not consider it to be a "similar room or area."

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
...The area under a staircase does not fit within the list of rooms to which the rule applies, and I do not consider it to be a "similar room or area."

Depends on whether you are talking about the inside (storage closet or Harry Potter room?) or outside (living room?) surface of the wall. Or if the area under the stairs is open and you are looking at the back wall of the open recess, which would still be part of the adjacent room.

erickench

This wall or partition was on the first floor on the outer edge of the stairway. It was placed underneath the stairway covering up the space directly underneath.

erickench

I am not exactly clear on your description, but I try to think if anyone may or would want to plug in a lamp, a vacuum or something else. If the answer is yes, I find the code usually supports that answer.

You walk in through the front door and there's sort of like a little space and across there is a partition or wall covering the space beneath the stairway.

kwired

Electron manager
You walk in through the front door and there's sort of like a little space and across there is a partition or wall covering the space beneath the stairway.

Yes, this is definitely wall space
I agree this is wall space that must be accounted for in said room, but doesn't mean there must be a receptacle specifically on that wall, unless it is isolated and 24 inches or more wide. The 6-12 spacing rule is allowed to follow around corners if there is adjacent walls.

templdl

I have always considered it this way:
When you look at a wall space is there room enough to conveniently set a lamp table there with a a duplex outlet no more than 6' on either side of it. The thought to never having to route s cord actress a walkway or under a rug etc or requiring an extension cord. If the space is unusable the why include an outlet?
However, I for one would like to see outlets in hall and stairway areas for vacuums. Have to go into a bedroom and then behind a nef in order to find an outlet with the hope that their cord is long enough without pulling on the plug and bending the prongs would be a nice thing.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
However, I for one would like to see outlets in hall and stairway areas for vacuums. Have to go into a bedroom and then behind a nef in order to find an outlet with the hope that their cord is long enough without pulling on the plug and bending the prongs would be a nice thing.
But for a vacuum, you do not care which side of the hall the receptacle is on. Cuts both ways. :)
There is already a requirement for one receptacle in every hallway longer than 10'. But for shorter ones it may still be useful.

templdl

But for a vacuum, you do not care which side of the hall the receptacle is on. Cuts both ways. :)
There is already a requirement for one receptacle in every hallway longer than 10'. But for shorter ones it may still be useful.

I only wish that I had a home that was big enough to have a hallway that was over 10' long.

Status
Not open for further replies.