SEU for central air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Im trying to save a penny is there any reason I cant run seu to central air disconnects in residential single family home SEU will be in insolated walls

kwired

Electron manager
Read 338.10(B)

Main points are you must use the uninsulated conductor for equipment grounding purposes, you must essentially use the requirements of art 334 (treat it like it is NM cable), and you must use 60 deg C temp rating if installed in thermal insulation.

Read 338.10(B)

Main points are you must use the uninsulated conductor for equipment grounding purposes, you must essentially use the requirements of art 334 (treat it like it is NM cable), and you must use 60 deg C temp rating if installed in thermal insulation.

I have found the break over cost for SEC vs copper NMC at 10/2 or 3. Anything 40 amps and above it's typically cheaper to use aluminum, even with the above restrictions.

kwired

Electron manager
I have found the break over cost for SEC vs copper NMC at 10/2 or 3. Anything 40 amps and above it's typically cheaper to use aluminum, even with the above restrictions.
Good luck finding aluminum cable that small around here. SE cable is not that popular in this area and I would guess the smallest aluminum size commonly stocked is probably going to be at least 2AWG.

Daja7

The smallest SEU cable is #8 but it is solid and cannot use it if conduit is involved.
larger is stranded. keep in mind most A/C manufacturers require the connection to the unit itself be copper. so you still need copper from the disc. to the unit.

kwired

Electron manager
The smallest SEU cable is #8 but it is solid and cannot use it if conduit is involved.
larger is stranded. keep in mind most A/C manufacturers require the connection to the unit itself be copper. so you still need copper from the disc. to the unit.
If using SE cable why do you need conduit? If you are just sleeving for protection you do not have a "raceway", you have a sleeve that doesn't even need to be made from a listed raceway. If you are sleeving the entire run, why not just use raceway and individual conductors instead of a cable?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

SE cable #8 copper is 7 strands made by southwire. I have never seen solid wire in SE cable

kwired

Electron manager
SE cable #8 copper is 7 strands made by southwire. I have never seen solid wire in SE cable

I think he was referring to aluminum conductors in the cable. I don't think I have ever seen smaller than 2 AWG aluminum, but that doesn't mean they don't make any smaller.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I think he was referring to aluminum conductors in the cable. I don't think I have ever seen smaller than 2 AWG aluminum, but that doesn't mean they don't make any smaller.

They make number 6 aluminum but it is still stranded.

You think he meant the solid strands within the conductor? I don't believe that would apply to the art. he refers too

kwired

Electron manager
They make number 6 aluminum but it is still stranded.

You think he meant the solid strands within the conductor? I don't believe that would apply to the art. he refers too

What Art? The only one I see in the thread is the ones I referred to 334 and 338.

I thought conversation kind of shifted toward aluminum SE cable being less cost way to go. I don't disagree with that concept, just don't know how available aluminum is in smaller sized SE cables.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Daja7 was referring to art. 310.106(C) about solid wire not being allowed in conduit. He did not mention the art. but maybe I missed something

kwired

Electron manager
Daja7 was referring to art. 310.106(C) about solid wire not being allowed in conduit. He did not mention the art. but maybe I missed something

And he was talking about SE cable in a conduit, which I questioned why run SE cable if you have a raceway? And then added if you just have a sleeve you don't have a (complete) raceway you just have a sleeve.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
And he was talking about SE cable in a conduit, which I questioned why run SE cable if you have a raceway? And then added if you just have a sleeve you don't have a (complete) raceway you just have a sleeve.

I understand all that but even if it was a complete raceway the point is the cable is not considered solid, IMO.

kwired

Electron manager
I understand all that but even if it was a complete raceway the point is the cable is not considered solid, IMO.
Probably not, but if pulling a single cable in a raceway you also do not fill to 40% of the individual conductors, you fill to 53% based on CSA of the entire cable, or the larger dimension if the cable is not round.

Status
Not open for further replies.