point of attachment on eave

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob12013

http://forums.mikeholt.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8332&d=1365698347&thumb=1&stc=1

Hello Thanks for help
I haven't done this type of work, all inside work mostly but this customer is going to put a full size window where the round vent is now in picture. I know conductors need to be 3' away from window I know that doesn't look possible at the level now where the poa is on the eave for me just move weather head over. If so are eave attachments acceptable? if I did have 3' from window should I just make sure the poa is above weather head on eave? To get 3' I might need to take weather head out from attic joist level but would still need poa on eave.

thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpg
    IMG_3167.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Looks like the POA is the least of your worries. I hope this is a feeder and not service entrance conductors. Anyway, if the fascia board is solid enough, it will support the POA just fine.

renosteinke

Somewhere I have a very nice picture of a fascia board being pulled off the house by nothing more than the CATV wire attached to the insulator.

That's why PoCo standards want you to mount the anchor to the actual house framing, and not the siding or fascia board.

I don't know what your plan is, but it looks like there's a lot more involved than simply moving the point of attachment. Maybe it's time to consider a proper mast.

kwired

Electron manager
clearances from windows is covered by 225.19 for feeders and 230.9 for service conductors.

Both have similar requirements. If the window does not open there is no minimum clearance for either.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Somewhere I have a very nice picture of a fascia board being pulled off the house by nothing more than the CATV wire attached to the insulator.

That's why PoCo standards want you to mount the anchor to the actual house framing, and not the siding or fascia board.

I don't know what your plan is, but it looks like there's a lot more involved than simply moving the point of attachment. Maybe it's time to consider a proper mast.

I agree that the framing is the optimal choice but I've never had a problem with a properly installed 2X6 facia board. Have you ever tried to find a solid structural member on a house that has vinyl siding on it? It can be a crap shoot.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Wow! Is that possibly SEU with the siding installed over it or are the wires going through the attic? Where is the meter? Time for a service change either way.

rob12013

It's a recessed meter base below the weather head with rigid down inside wall in from poco and rigid back out to panel in middle of house

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I agree that the framing is the optimal choice but I've never had a problem with a properly installed 2X6 facia board. Have you ever tried to find a solid structural member on a house that has vinyl siding on it? It can be a crap shoot.

A 2x6 Facer board? That'd be beefy.

I think your thinking about the band.

The 2x6 framing members are the "band" that is nailed to the rafter tails or "barge rafters".

Most facia boards are 1x's, 3/4" thick and are nailed to the outside of the band or the barge rafters.
Unless they decide to install vinyl facer directly to the outside of the band, or barge rafters, then a true
facer board is not needed at all.

kwired

Electron manager
If installing in the facia you need an insulator with a long lag screw and hit one of the cross members that the facia is attached to.

Looking at the photo that maybe is already done as the drop has a second insulator already in the facia toward the right side of the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.