Receptacles above dropped ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMPE

Can a general purpose receptacle be placed above an office type building...receptacle serves wireless module. JM

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can a general purpose receptacle be placed above an office type building...receptacle serves wireless module. JM
There is a detailed thread on this exact topic.
You can place the receptacle above a dropped ceiling. But then you cannot plug a flexible cord into it. :eek:hmy:

You can plug a wall wart type class 2 power supply directly into the outlet and with certain very detailed restrictions you can plug in the non-detachable power cord of certain types of equipment, including wireless routers.

If the space above the ceiling is an air handling area (not a plenum under the NEC definition), then the restrictions get even tighter.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Maybe, I'll come up some time and bring my pans and you can show me some good spots. Not "the" spot of course, I know how you guys are. :D

There is a 45 foot cliff (drop off) behind my house left over from hydraulic mining in the old days, so there should still be something there. I have never looked though. Better (?) things to do with my time. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is a 45 foot cliff (drop off) behind my house left over from hydraulic mining in the old days, so there should still be something there. I have never looked though. Better (?) things to do with my time. :)

(said jokingly) Yeah ! Posting here pays a lot more than picking up gold nuggets :D

Status
Not open for further replies.