down sizing a neutral wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d1reyad

hi guys i know the nec allow you to downsize feeder natural wire my question is can i do the same on a electric 50a range since the natural only their for accessory i usually don't do this but i have customer that insist on we doing this since he allready have wire can it be done ? i don't c a problem also but just want to get any opinion it will be thhn #8 for the two hot and thhn #10 for nutural n ground

jumper

210.19(A)(3)

Exception No. 2: The neutral conductor of a 3-wire
branch circuit supplying a household electric range, a
wall-mounted oven, or a counter-mounted cooking unit
shall be permitted to be smaller than the ungrounded conductors
where the maximum demand of a range of 8 3⁄4-kW
or more rating has been calculated according to Column C
of Table 220.55, but such conductor shall have an ampacity
of not less than 70 percent of the branch-circuit rating and
shall not be smaller than 10 AWG.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
What type of wire or cable is being used? Isn't 70% of 50A = 35 amps? If Romex, a #10 neutral won't cut it. A THHN in a raceway would work if #10.

kwired

Electron manager
What type of wire or cable is being used? Isn't 70% of 50A = 35 amps? If Romex, a #10 neutral won't cut it. A THHN in a raceway would work if #10.

Have you ever seen NM cable with reduced size white conductor? I haven't. Reduced size equipment grounding conductors for larger cables I have seen but never a reduced white conductor.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Doh,:eek:hmy: I got confused with the smaller equipment ground.... I've never seen a reduced neutral either in a branch circuit cable, but have in the appliance cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.