Irrigation Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I've heard more than once where people are using an available lake,pond or stream to put thier
submersible pump in to run thier sprinkler system. I don't see where the code addresses this issue
and if GFI is not required on a 240v Hard wired Submersible pump, where does the electrical contractor
stand if he is asked to install the electrical for such a setup?

I would think there would be the possibility of someone swimming in the lake or stream near a submersible
pump that they were never aware of.

If there are no local ordinances prohibiting the installation of a submersible pump in a lake,pond or stream,
should GFI protection be installed?

Not sure if the areas always fall under the authority of inspections.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
We just kind of discussed this last week on the Forum. I agree there could be some issues with these pumps and electrocutions. In my area, the pump is typically not submersible but it is right at waters edge and always subject to damp and wet conditions not unlike swimming pool pumps.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Oddly enough this one is rather hind site.
A fellow electrician I know went on a service call where the pump is tripping a 2p GFI maybe once out of
every 10-15 startups. (Very Inconsistent trips). He's changed, Breaker, wire and connections, but the
trip is still very inconsistent. He's questioning if the GFI is even required but is hesitant in removing it
since it's there already and I tend to agree with him. I dont know that I'd assume the responsibility
of taking it out even though it may not be required.

Jon456

I've heard more than once where people are using an available lake,pond or stream to put thier
submersible pump in to run thier sprinkler system.
This may be slightly OT, but I would think a jet pump would be a much better -- and safer -- system for this application than using a submersible pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.