60KW Portable Generator hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Was wanting to see what ideas others have on hooking up an portable generator mounted on a trailer. I was thinking of Mounting a 200A SE rated disconnect on load side of meter an then adding a 200A manual transfer switch an then feeding an existing 200A panel. Was wandering what method others would use to hook up generator to transfer panel. I was thinking the cheapest method would be to hard wire the Gen when needed, or maybe install a 200A pin an sleeve to bottom of transfer panel .

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Was wanting to see what ideas others have on hooking up an portable generator mounted on a trailer. I was thinking of Mounting a 200A SE rated disconnect on load side of meter an then adding a 200A manual transfer switch an then feeding an existing 200A panel. Was wandering what method others would use to hook up generator to transfer panel. I was thinking the cheapest method would be to hard wire the Gen when needed, or maybe install a 200A pin an sleeve to bottom of transfer panel .
Your thinking and your "or maybe" are both fine. Cost benefit analysis.
ice

JoeStillman

We did a lot of portable hookups for little telephone switch buildings here in eastern PA. The standard design was a weather-proof pin-and-sleeve inlet connector with a manual transfer switch. For services over 200A, the MTS was inside the building with conduit sleeves through the wall nearby. If you really want to get carried away, you can provide a shore power disconnect switch for the jacket heater and battery charger on the portable. Sometimes there were cam-locks on the generator input to the MTS.

I think you're on the right track.

FWIW, over about 100a definitely I prefer camloks to pin-and-sleeve connectors (and for 2p 50a, I use 'RV' connectors). The downside is that they're harder to correctly connect in the dark (matching the colors and all that).

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
I am not familar with Cam-loks. Are they alot cheaper than pin an sleeve an do they make them for 200A

I am not familar with Cam-loks. Are they alot cheaper than pin an sleeve an do they make them for 200A

Google is your friend :) http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices/interconnect/brands/cam_lok.html

The most common style is the 'J' series type E1016, rated 400a each. They're used by just about all the temporary power & generator companies and in theatrical/film/TV power distribution.

Usually about $15-20/cable connector, and there are commercial sellers on ebay. There are also vendors that will sell j-boxes and cable whips with connectors installed. (I usually buy from Trystar Industries, but that's only because they've done well for us in the past, nothing special otherwise.)

As I mentioned, the downside is that you have to connect individual leads, so you can't leave it to Joe the Gardener to "plug this in, press start, pull the (MTS) handle down". They should only be connected by someone who's been trained to set up the generator and bring it online.

ceb58

The OP has an almost duplicate post on this subject in this category. What he and the rest are missing is he is wanting to connect a 60 Kw generator to a building with a 200 amp service using 200 amp rated equipment. Any one see a problem?

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
The generator in question here currently does not have any OCP on it . I will have to add a fusible or Breaker ocp on the generator. This Generator will be used primarily for this one particular service.

ceb58

The generator in question here currently does not have any OCP on it . I will have to add a fusible or Breaker ocp on the generator. This Generator will be used primarily for this one particular service.
Sounds like you have a classic case of "hooking an elephant to a little red wagon". Without built in OCP you must then follow 445.13 and size the conductors at 115% of the name plate rating. Then you can step down to 200 amps but the equipment must be rated for the generator name plate ampacity . But what is the load calculation of the building? You could get by with a lot smaller generator.

Last edited:

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
So a 60KW Generator at 240 1Phase is 250A. Its 250A x 115%= 287.5A. So i will need a wire rated for 300A to line side of a 400A disconnect an then i can fuse it a 200A for my application.

ceb58

So a 60KW Generator at 240 1Phase is 250A. Its 250A x 115%= 287.5A. So i will need a wire rated for 300A to line side of a 400A disconnect an then i can fuse it a 200A for my application.
That's it in a nut shell. But you need to look at the name plate rating.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
So I was thinking instead of installing a fusible switch for the generator OCP on this 60KW Generator , I could install a 250A Breaker enclosure with 350Kcmil from generator terminal box to the 250A breaker. On the load side of the Breaker I could install a 200A feed thru panel to feed the house. Also I could install outlets on the side of the loadcenter on the generator for other uses. Does this look like a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.