Network Cabling for Lighting Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-wattage

Hello, first post here, apologies if this is under the wrong subforum or otherwise out of bounds.

I am installing datacom cabling for a new building with an automated lighting control system. The lighting control panels are network programmable. The network connections for the panels are located inside the lighting panel. There is no separation of any kind between the power and communications.

This of course gives me the heebie geebies since it goes against code and common sense to run class 2 wiring even in the same conduit or box without separation, let alone inside the panel. I assume there is some allowance for this - surely the panel manufacturer wouldn't create an unsafe product.

Two questions -

Can anyone cite the allowance / exception for this in the NEC? Is this considered remote control?

and,

Do I need to do anything different with my cabling? The electrician that installed the panel insists that just pulling this with the rest of my cable in that area, and running the cable into the panel and crimping a modular plug on it is acceptable.

low-wattage

Are the panels UL/etc listed and do the manufacturer's instructions say to wire this way? If so, just do it.

Thanks. I'm with you - in fact I already did it.

I double checked with the manufacturer, there were no special instructions etc.

I'd still like to be able to quote NEC chapter and verse for the inspector or anyone else that raises a question, and for my own edification. (Will probably still give me heebie jeebies.)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Thanks. I'm with you - in fact I already did it.

I double checked with the manufacturer, there were no special instructions etc.

I'd still like to be able to quote NEC chapter and verse for the inspector or anyone else that raises a question, and for my own edification. (Will probably still give me heebie jeebies.)
This troubles me as well. But it would seem that 725.136(D) allows this. It is becoming very common practice to introduce class 2 conductors into things like motor starters and the like with the increased use of BMS systems. I have a project right now that has many, many, up to 480 volt devices with class 2 conductors brought into them for BMS purposes.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
725.136(D)(1) would apply if you can maintain at least .25" separation. Note that the LV wiring must enter the enclosure by itself via a separate opening. If the LV and power is run for any distance in a common raceway then the LV has to be "reclassified" as a Class 1 circuit and have 600v insulation. Normal CAT5e not 600v but I do remember someone here finding a source for 600v listed CAT5e just for these instances.

-Hal

low-wattage

Thank you texie and hbiss. I reviewed 725.136 and I guess I am fine. The network cable is routed at least a quarter inch away from the power. The electrician cut a sleeve of liquidtight LFNC to protect it from inside its conduit to within a few inches of the jack, which seems like a good additional precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.