Line & Load reactors

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The few line/load reactors for VFDs I have priced were close if not the same in price for either. I was priced a 3% line reactor for $340, two weeks ago. The price for a 3% load reactor today is $900 from the same supplier. The line reactor went up $20.

From the little research I have done the line reactor is underpriced by half, but the load overpriced by a quarter. Aren't these devices the same item? Looking at ADs pricing, they are the same.

Will a LR sized for the same HP and impedance work with anyones drive? How close to the output of the VFD do they need to be? 1' vs 5'?

jumper

Interesting. I have not heard of a load reactor, I install a lot of line reactors, pre VFD or load.

This load load reactor is installed after a load or VFD- which is pre-load to a motor?

No clue about pricing.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A load reactor is recommended for motors that are some distance from the VFD, varies by mfg, and for non VFD rated motors above 440V (at least in this instance). Cuts down on the damage due to the high voltage peaks from the drive. Reflective wave is the term, I believe. Now you know more than I do.

My email of "WT...", to the supplier got me an "Ooops" and different, more in line pricing.

jumper

A load reactor is recommended for motors that are some distance from the VFD, varies by mfg, and for non VFD rated motors above 440V (at least in this instance). Cuts down on the damage due to the high voltage peaks from the drive. Reflective wave is the term, I believe. Now you know more than I do.

My email of "WT...", to the supplier got me an "Ooops" and different, more in line pricing.

Yes, immediately after the VFD.

I did not know. Thanks.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There is no difference between a Line Reactor and a Load Reactor, other than where you connect it. What most likely happened is that they quoted you a Load FILTER, which is a reactor with a capacitor circuit, that is more often used on the load side of a vfd. They are more expensive.

And yes, any reactor from any supplier is as good as any other. ALL of the ones here in the US that are sold by the VFD mfrs are actually made by either MTE, TCI, Hammond or Schaffner.

mike_kilroy

As stated, most of the time one can use the same inductor for input or output side of a vfd - because they are generally a bit oversized for the motor amp rating anyway. For example, typical 3% reactor for 10hp motor from the big name companies previously mentioned is typically rated 18-20 amps - for a 14 amp motor, so it will be ok with the additional losses from the load size PWM waveform that is not present on the input side.

So if using one for the output side, just make sure it is rated a bit higher current than the actual motor to prevent overheating. We often custom design output reactors rated for the actual motor fundamental current load plus the additional losses due to the pwm freq specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.