Branch Circuit For Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectric123

read 210.23 (A), (B) and (C)

THats the article I had in question. the way interpret it, i can't use bigger circuits than 20. For 30. 40, and 50 amp circuits it says fixed lighting loads with heavy duty lampholders. i was wondering if i could run 30 amp circuits, and just tap off with # 14.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
THats the article I had in question. the way interpret it, i can't use bigger circuits than 20. For 30. 40, and 50 amp circuits it says fixed lighting loads with heavy duty lampholders. i was wondering if i could run 30 amp circuits, and just tap off with # 14.

how does the #14 wire change a 30 amp circuit? If you don't have fixed lighting units with heavy duty lamp holders (non-residential), article 210.23 says you can't do it.

Last edited:

bobbymari

Wouldn't think twist in fluorescent sockets would qualify you as heavy duty lamp holders. Although it doesn't specify I believe common interpretation of this would be your heavy duty hid style lampholders. As I see it you are limited to a 20 amp circuit for this application as far as 210.23 is concerned

mgookin

Not sure how long the runs are but can't OP come off a 50A +/- breaker at the MDP and put in a subpanel with 20A branch circuits to lessen the conduit, wire, etc.?

delectric123

Not sure how long the runs are but can't OP come off a 50A +/- breaker at the MDP and put in a subpanel with 20A branch circuits to lessen the conduit, wire, etc.?
i thought i would be allowed to run #6s , and just tap off with # 14s, then there would be less wires going to the breaker panel, though that would only be allowed with heavy duty lamp holders, like those 400 watt metal halide.

bobbymari

how far is the run from the panel to lights, there is that other option which was mentioned of putting in a sub panel to get u closer. have to weigh out costs but since u were questioning running #6's anyways a panel wouldnt cost that much

Status
Not open for further replies.