subbing T-pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
K&K Electric, Inc., in Florida, called to hire me to set temporary at jobsite nearby. I usually ignore calls from consolidation type companies that are not real contractors, just someone with a desk, phonebook, and web site, but this one sounds legit. Obviously they would not want to send truck hundreds of miles to set T-pole when other electrical work not yet ready to start. Anyone want to comment on the situation, especially in regards to what precautions I should take to be sure I get paid? Thanks.

Cavie

No problem. Bill him up front. Build a new pole, sell it to him, and set it. Take pictures and send them to him. Then he calls for inspection and hook up under his license. Keep your name off the permit.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
K&K Electric, Inc., in Florida, called to hire me to set temporary at jobsite nearby. I usually ignore calls from consolidation type companies that are not real contractors, just someone with a desk, phonebook, and web site, but this one sounds legit. Obviously they would not want to send truck hundreds of miles to set T-pole when other electrical work not yet ready to start. Anyone want to comment on the situation, especially in regards to what precautions I should take to be sure I get paid? Thanks.

pinging them a bit on the web doesn't turn up anything much, either good, or bad.

i'd quote them flat rate for the work needed, half up front, balance on completion.
they can power them up and call for inspection on their license number. being realistic,
if they don't pay you, well, poles can be removed..... around here, tempower poles are
usually rented by the month, and they get install and remove up front... just like bin
rentals.

i'd make sure about insurance binders with general, property owner, etc.

wirebender

pinging them a bit on the web doesn't turn up anything much, either good, or bad.

i'd quote them flat rate for the work needed, half up front, balance on completion.
they can power them up and call for inspection on their license number. being realistic,
if they don't pay you, well, poles can be removed..... around here, tempower poles are
usually rented by the month, and they get install and remove up front... just like bin
rentals.

i'd make sure about insurance binders with general, property owner, etc.

How much do they rent for? I've often wondered if that would be a viable service to offer.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Did you ask them how they got your name?

Out here we have companies that do nothing but set power poles and provide outhouses. Very rare that we see a contractor set a pole.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Did you ask them how they got your name?

Out here we have companies that do nothing but set power poles and provide outhouses. Very rare that we see a contractor set a pole.
No I did not think to ask, I seem to come up on Google (more at times that at others) and do get calls from out of town customers. I don't know of local contractor that specializes in temporaries or in power poles and outhouses.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Forwarded them my insurance certificates, emailed quote, have not heard from them since. Either they assume it's already been done and have mailed my check, or didn't like quote and are shopping for a lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.