Switch by Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

amps88

The AHJ is quoting NEC 404.4 for not allowing a switch for the under the cabinet lights near the sink in the kitchen of a Barracks suite. Really? :? Since when is a kitchen considered a wet location?
Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The ahj is incorrect. 404.4 deals with wet and damp locations and as you stated the kitchen is not a damp or wet location. Also it doesn't state that the switch can't be located there. We install switches outside...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Tell the AHJ to read the definitions of Location, Wet and Location, Damp in Article 100.

MarineTech

The AHJ is quoting NEC 404.4 for not allowing a switch for the under the cabinet lights near the sink in the kitchen of a Barracks suite. Really? :? Since when is a kitchen considered a wet location?
Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

FYI, I just saw a drawing that has easy access from the kitchen sink (within arms length) as per the following:

Right of the sink:

1) Disposal switch.

Left of the sink:

1) Sink work light (Nice fixture directly above the sink) + Range work light (Angled towards the range cooktop (stove)). both on one switch.
2) Under cabinet LED light switch. Powering three strings.

Regards,

MarineTech

ceb58

The ahj is incorrect. 404.4 deals with wet and damp locations and as you stated the kitchen is not a damp or wet location. Also it doesn't state that the switch can't be located there. We install switches outside...
Dose this mean I have to remove the switch that's been by my kitchen sink for 35 years ?:happyno:

ceb58

No. The switch can stay.

You must remove the kitchen itself. :lol:
Wouldn't matter the wife doesn't use it anyway:happysad: She even has a needle point pillow with the saying " I only have a kitchen because it came with the house" stitched into it :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.