Unclear about SER and construction types

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been told that you cannot use SER to go from the 1st floor meter bank to feed the apartment panels on the third or fourth floor of an apartment structure. I cant seem to find a straight answer on this matter. It is an all wood, 4 floor, 54 unit building and the meter bank is on the first floor and the prints call for SER to each unit's load center panel. I keep reading that NM cable is permitted in level III, IV, and V construction, but i am not sure if NM applies to SER or not.

Please help... thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Se cable is less stringent than NM for the most part so if the structure allows it then there shouldn't be an issue

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I have been told that you cannot use SER to go from the 1st floor meter bank to feed the apartment panels on the third or fourth floor of an apartment structure. I cant seem to find a straight answer on this matter. It is an all wood, 4 floor, 54 unit building and the meter bank is on the first floor and the prints call for SER to each unit's load center panel. I keep reading that NM cable is permitted in level III, IV, and V construction, but i am not sure if NM applies to SER or not.

Please help... thanks.

[h=3]Service-Entrance Cable: Types SE and USE[/h] [h=4]I. General[/h] 338.1 Scope. This article covers the use, installation, and construction specifications of service-entrance cable.
338.2 Definitions.
Service-Entrance Cable. A single conductor or multiconductor assembly provided with or without an overall covering, primarily used for services, and of the following types:
Type SE. Service-entrance cable having a flame-retardant, moisture-resistant covering.
Type USE. Service-entrance cable, identified for underground use, having a moisture-resistant covering, but not required to have a flame-retardant covering.
[h=4]II. Installation[/h] 338.10 Uses Permitted.
(A) Service-Entrance Conductors. Service-entrance cable shall be permitted to be used as service-entrance conductors and shall be installed in accordance with 230.6, 230.7, and Parts II, III, and IV of Article 230.

jwelectric

being these are feeders between the service disconnect at the meter base and the panel in each unit I think this would apply;

338.10 Uses Permitted.
(B) Branch Circuits or Feeders. (4) Installation Methods for Branch Circuits and Feeders.
(a) Interior Installations. In addition to the provisions of this article, Type SE service-entrance cable used for interior wiring shall comply with the installation requirements of Part II of Article 334, excluding 334.80.
Where installed in thermal insulation, the ampacity shall be in accordance with the 60?C (140?F) conductor temperature rating. The maximum conductor temperature rating shall be permitted to be used for ampacity adjustment and correction purposes, if the final derated ampacity does not exceed that for a 60?C (140?F) rated conductor.
Informational Note No. 1: See 310.15(A)(3) for temperature limitation of conductors.
Informational Note No. 2: For the installation of main power feeder conductors in dwelling units refer to 310.15(B)(7).

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The engineer said not to worry about it, but the rumor is the inspector is not going to allow it... i suppose we will see.

I would ask the AHJ first. It may be a local code that SER cable is not allowed in your type of installation.

When you say "the inspector" are you referring to the building department, to the one inspector (because you have only one inspector) or one particular inspector out of a group of inspectors?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.