what is an applinance and what is a motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

Confused with classifing a piece of equipment. When there is a piece of equipment, when is it considered an appliance (article 422) and when is it considered a motor (article 430)? With respect to choosing the OCPD. Here are a couple examples:

1. Sump pumps, motor or applinance.
2. Exhaust fan, motor or appliance.
3. Garbage disposer.

Now, regarding the garbage disposer, this would be very similar to a sump pump and a garbage disposer is specifically called out as an appliance per 422.16B. So since it is an appliance, it is a motor-operated appliance. Choosing the OCPD would be based on 422.11(G). However, this says where the overcurrent device is separate from the appliance, it says it shall be marked on tha applicance. Typically, a garbage disposal does not have a breaker on the side of it (the overcurrent device), nor do the list the breaker size on the "appliance"? Don't understand?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Garbage disposals usually have a reset button don't they (I know they used to). This is some type of thermal overload tripping mechanism. Perhaps they are automatic now and just cut out on thermal overload and automatically reset??

The motor-vs-applliance thing is hard for me too, especially if the item in question has not been purchased yet so you have no tag to look at. Requires a trip to the store to look as some representative examples.

mjmike

"The motor-vs-applliance thing is hard for me too, especially if the item in question has not been purchased yet so you have no tag to look at."

You are correct, glad I'm not the only one. When in design stage, you don't know what is exactly going to end up in the field. It could have a different HP rating or who knows what else different. It like you can design the circuit until the item is setting there in the crate. I guess this is where the EC comes into play hopefully checking things before energizing.

As for the reset button, I think the code is referring to the breaker size like on say an ACCU. It notes the MCA and MFA, but a garbage disposer does not, or even a sump pump, or exhaust fan.

broadgage

If it comes with a cord and plug, then IMHO it is an appliance that incorporates a motor.
If say a sump pump or garbage disposal comes with a cord and plug, then it would be reasonable for a homeowner or other non technical person to simply purchase a replacement and plug it in.
No electrician needed, and no special circuit or calculations needed, any more than would be needed to plug in a power tool or vaccuum cleaner.
If however it does not plug in but needs installing by a qaulified electrician, then IMHO it is a motor unless the listing says otherwise.

iwire

Staff member
Seriously, read the listing tag, it will tell you.

And if has no listing and looks like a motor it is a motor.

If you designing without full info that is really the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.