Bonding cold and hot at the water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesh

I know this subject has some controversy. But I know that the local inspectors want it done so it's easier to just comply. My only question is what size jumper is required?

For a typical 200A service I think a #6 should suffice, but I wonder if a #4 is required like the water pipe GEC.

Which is it?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think technically it needs to be sized per 250.66 just like the main water bond. However, I put a #6 between hot, cold, and the copper drains and the inspector liked that (I had a 1/0 to the main water pipe because it was a 400A service). The pipe clamps that could take a 1/0 were rather hard to find and I didn't want to buy 3 more, especially one for a 2" copper pipe.

I wish the code allowed interior water pipes to use 250.122 like every other type of pipe type that could be energized.

Mesh

SO I'll just use some #2 Al and purchase another pair of those expensive dual rated pipe clamps :D

Ohms law

Bonding jumpers are sized per table 250.66, according to the largest ungrounded conductor. You would also use this table when grounding for a 200 amp service and sizing GEC for water meter, water heater, water softener, and ufer ground. The #6 solid bare is the max size you need to use for a 200 amp service ground rod electrode.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Bonding jumpers are sized per table 250.66, according to the largest ungrounded conductor. You would also use this table when grounding for a 200 amp service and sizing GEC for water meter, water heater, water softener, and ufer ground. The #6 solid bare is the max size you need to use for a 200 amp service ground rod electrode.

Also a CEE (Ufer) GEC or bonding jumper is not required to be larger than #4 even if the corresponding conductor size in T250.66 is larger than #4.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The #6 solid bare is the max size you need to use for a 200 amp service ground rod electrode.
Actually a #6 copper conductor (it doesn't have to be bare) is the maximum size required to a rod type electrode for any size service.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.