Bonding cold and hot at the water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Out of curiosity, Rob, what do you cite for your red sticker?

My guess is that they would cite 250.53(D)(1) but I don't know for sure. This has been a long standing requirement in NJ which I'm assuming is the State's interpretation of it being required.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
My guess is that they would cite 250.53(D)(1) but I don't know for sure. This has been a long standing requirement in NJ which I'm assuming is the State's interpretation of it being required.
Hmmm. So, in New Jersey, multiple metal mixing valve bodies (at the shower, bath tub, or sinks) count as "similar equipment" to water meters or filtering devices? What about bonding around individual inline shut off valves?

Mesh

It is not a specific requirement in the NEC.

Well, that's up for debate, and it's been debated many times right here on this very forum- which is why I find it pretty funny when people act like they have no idea what I am talking about :lol:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well, that's up for debate
Sorry, but until you give us an article section it's not up for debate and you have not given us a code section that you think requires it.

Roger

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Respectfully, you haven't given us a NEC citation as you can see below. I have copied the entirety of your posts until you claim you have told us and I don't see it.

I know this subject has some controversy. But I know that the local inspectors want it done so it's easier to just comply. My only question is what size jumper is required?

For a typical 200A service I think a #6 should suffice, but I wonder if a #4 is required like the water pipe GEC.

Which is it?

SO I'll just use some #2 Al and purchase another pair of those expensive dual rated pipe clamps :D

Clearly, the situation that I am talking about is when there are metal pipes...

No, it's written into the NEC. :D

You all know where. :D:thumbsup:

Well, that's up for debate, and it's been debated many times right here on this very forum- which is why I find it pretty funny when people act like they have no idea what I am talking about :lol:

Exactly the part of my post that you failed to quote ;):thumbsup:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So you're still ignoring the part of my post that you conveniently failed to quote? :lol::p

Why be so obtuse?

Here's the deal, you are new here and you are the starter of this thread, please tell us what you are getting at or, with my appologies to the forum members and the participants in this thread, I will close it until you PM me with your point.

I am not wanting to be heavy handed and we all like to have fun but, talking in circles and playing games is not getting us anywhere.

With that said, tell us what article section and wording you think is the conflict and open for debate

Roger

Mesh

Here's the deal, you are new here and you are the starter of this thread, please tell us what you are getting at or, with my appologies to the forum members and the participants in this thread, I will close it until you PM me with your point.

I am not wanting to be heavy handed and we all like to have fun but, talking in circles and playing games is not getting us anywhere.

With that said, tell us what article section and wording you think is the conflict and open for debate

Roger

Like I said, you are being obtuse, extremely obtuse. I don't know if you think it's cute or what...

You know exactly what I am talking about, as does al. You have both been part of the many threads about this issue, the threads that I read yesterday before starting this thread. Even in the first sentence of this thread I mentioned the controversy surrounding the issue, but I guess you are going to play like you don't know anything about it. :p I also said the following which directly answers your question:

I'm not playing circular games, I'm just not appeasing your game. :thumbsup: The fact of the matter is that you know exactly which article that I am talking about. Whether you agree with it or not isn't the question... I don't agree with it either, but I understand that some people see it that way and some of those people are inspectors that enforce it. But why am I telling you this, you already know :lol:

Close it down! :bye:

John120/240

Mesh can you calmly & politely site chapter & verse from the NEC where it states you shall bond the Hot to the Cold at the water heater ? This is most likely one of those shirt pocket rules that local AHJ like to enforce without any substantiation. Unless it is adopted
as a local amendment in writing, then your AHJ is wrong.

This Forum has some of the most knowledgeable & intelligent NEC code guru's around. I respect their opinion & have learned a lot.
Have a good night. John

Status
Not open for further replies.