Service - SE cable entering house under the meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesh

I've never used SE cable on a 200A service before. I'd like to start using it since many customers are OK with it and that's what all the other ECs in my area are using.

My only concern is bending the thick 4/0 SE cable into the house. When coming out of the bottom of the meter, you need to make a 90 degree bend to turn into the house, and that seems like it might be a big and ugly sweep of cable. I'm also curious what you do to make sure that the cable doesn't chafe on the inside of the hole.

Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I've never used SE cable on a 200A service before. I'd like to start using it since many customers are OK with it and that's what all the other ECs in my area are using.

My only concern is bending the thick 4/0 SE cable into the house. When coming out of the bottom of the meter, you need to make a 90 degree bend to turn into the house, and that seems like it might be a big and ugly sweep of cable. I'm also curious what you do to make sure that the cable doesn't chafe on the inside of the hole.

Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

You can enter at an angle less than 90 if that makes sense.

338.24 Bending Radius. Bends in Types USE and SE cable shall be so made that the cable will not be damaged. The radius of the curve of the inner edge of any bend, during or after installation, shall not be less than five times the diameter of the cable.

liquidtite

You can enter at an angle less than 90 if that makes sense.

338.24 Bending Radius. Bends in Types USE and SE cable shall be so made that the cable will not be damaged. The radius of the curve of the inner edge of any bend, during or after installation, shall not be less than five times the diameter of the cable.
or pipe out of meter and lb into exterior wall so ser cable is protected

liquidtite

I've seen it done this way manytimes and have installed it with lb and have never been flagged . But I know it dosnt make it right

Last edited:

PetrosA

It's very helpful if you can get the cable shaped correctly before it's in the wall. Sometimes you have to use tricks. One is to get your meter socket mounted, then detach it, insert the bottom SE cable, then mount or bend the whole thing into place. Other times a large rubber mallet or even a 2 lb. sledge will be helpful. On tight services you will almost always want to bend the cable before you have it in the hole and/or the meter socket so you can get the leverage you need since you need to bend past 90 degrees to allow for springback.

If allowed, use 4/0-4/0-2/0 instead of 4/0-4/0-4/0. The latter is a beast in tight spots. Also, use the natural curve of the wire to keep it against the wall above and below the meter socket.

Last edited:

bravo421

in the situation of having a meter socket and having to come out the bottom, I would just use pvc if you're looking to save cost. It would look cleaner. The only time I use se is if I'm installing with a meter pedestal so the only visible se is the short swoop into the panel.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can use a 2" PVC terminal adapter & lock-nut (don't forget the bushing. I know it's PVC but it's required on 2" PVC believe it or not) and a PVC-LB out of the bottom of the meter enclosure and stub into the basement with a piece of PVC. If you're not going all the way to the breaker panel with the PVC you can use SEU cable as follows : a) slide a 2" squeeze connector (without the lock-nut) onto the SEU cable and strip off the jacket for the length you'll need to get the wire to the meter enclosure; b) slide on the threaded end of a PVC-female adapter and thread it onto the squeeze connector, then tighten the screws on the squeeze connector; c) slide the wire through the stub and just before you slide the un-threaded end of the female adapter onto the stub apply the PVC glue to the stub, push on the adapter and make the PVC connection. On the outside you should have no problem getting the wires into the meter. Obviously, use another 2" squeeze connector for the SEU on the panel end. I've been doing this for about 20 years and I've never been cited but that doesn't mean I'm right. If someone knows of a Code section I've violated please say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.