Drilling through block foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesh

Really don't know much about SDS drills, don't have one. Have used a couple different ones over the years that belonged to others. If I need 1/2 inch hole or larger I use my spline drill. If drilling holes for smaller anchors I use standard hammer drill. I suppose if I had to drill a lot of holes the SDS would be worth looking into, but I generally do not run into jobs that require a lot of drilling of smaller holes in concrete.

There is SDS-Plus and SDS-Max.

SDS-Plus is the smaller size, usually best for anchor holes, although it does pretty well up to 1". Common rotary hammers like the Bosch Bulldog, the smaller Hilti's and Makita's, and many others use this.

SDS-Max is the larger size, and AFAIK it's in line with Spline. It's just another standard.

Both of them could be called just plain old SDS, but they are very different.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We are talking about a 2.5" hole in a block wall. There is no way I would call in anther contractor to do it, I would be done in a few minutes unless it is filled solid and has rebar etc.

I agree, hollow block is easy. It'll take you longer to set up the Hilti with the right bit and an extension cord than it will to punch a hole through the block. Even if it's poured it's still no problem. Rebar, now that's another story!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I couldn't imagine brining in a coring contractor to drill a single 2.5" hole in a residential service upgrade.
I can.

Make an X marks the spot and step aside. No muss, no fuss, no silicosis, no buying bits that sit on the shelf waiting for a higher purpose for the next decade, no trips to the rental house, no spending a grand on a new tool, no problem if there is a stick of rebar in the way, no blowouts, no worries. Nothing but a nice clean hole.

Should one do this every time a hole through a chunk of concrete is needed?? No! Through hollow block?? Never. But I'll tell you what life after tasting the forbidden fruit is actually pretty good.

cadpoint

Tap around the webs, you should have a consistent sound, hollow or solid (filled). You should be able to hear and understand the difference. Filled will be a thud, hollow will just sound like it... :)

I've seen these small holes drilled with diamond tip hole saws and an electric drill - hand held.

Frankly I was stunned to just stand there and watch the following; I was outside and a chap walked up with tool in hand/held it and drilled out a 4" hole in a concrete wall in nothing flat. I believe it was less than a minute.

Drill in one hand and leather glove holding the bit, was the stunning part.

A diamond blade hole saw is the tool you need.

PS; measure twice, cut once!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The OP mentioned a service upgrade which around here translates to an older home with a hollow concrete block foundation. Some of the older homes even have cinder block foundations which are even softer and can usually be chopped with a lump hammer and chisel.

iwire

Staff member
I haven't seen them in older homes and not sure they are used around here. Most of the homes we build here are done with poured foundation walls. The old cinder blocks were always clear

Same here, but in commercial block jobs they often have horizontal bond beams certain points above the floor, say like 8' up, 16' up and at the top also over openings for doors etc.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Same here, but in commercial block jobs they often have horizontal bond beams certain points above the floor, say like 8' up, 16' up and at the top also over openings for doors etc.

I assumed resi work with 2" pvc but I agree commercial buildings are a different animal.

kwired

Electron manager
I haven't seen them in older homes and not sure they are used around here. Most of the homes we build here are done with poured foundation walls. The old cinder blocks were always clear
I would guess the walls are not tall enough they are necessary in most typical dwellings.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Another fun one is to punch a hole in a exterior block wall and find out that it is filled with vermiculite insulation.

A real "What do I do now moment?" as the stuff runs out the hole into a pile.
That is a whole 'nother file I hadn't even thought about.

The what do I do becomes what do I do with this stuff and then progresses to what do I do with the rest of this stuff now that I have filled up all the near by buckets and it is still pouring out of the wall....

Been there. Done that. Even worse than a block wall was one time at a condo complex where I pulled the medicine chest. I was knee deep in about a second and a half.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That is a whole 'nother file I hadn't even thought about.

The what do I do becomes what do I do with this stuff and then progresses to what do I do with the rest of this stuff now that I have filled up all the near by buckets and it is still pouring out of the wall....

Been there. Done that. Even worse than a block wall was one time at a condo complex where I pulled the medicine chest. I was knee deep in about a second and a half.
It gets even worse if the vermiculite used was the Montana-sourced stuff that contained too much asbestos as a contaminant. You have then gotten yourself into a real pickle.

mgookin

Small to medium sized brick hammer (mason's hammer) and sound it out to find the hollow core. Cost = around $30. Estwing is the best brand but for a one time job it's not critical. Swing smartly with the chisel end. Once it's sounding like a watermelon you're almost home.
Hopefully you have a little bit of latitude on where the new panel goes.
Sledge hammers will create more problems than you want.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I can.

Make an X marks the spot and step aside. No muss, no fuss, no silicosis, no buying bits that sit on the shelf waiting for a higher purpose for the next decade, no trips to the rental house, no spending a grand on a new tool, no problem if there is a stick of rebar in the way, no blowouts, no worries. Nothing but a nice clean hole.

Should one do this every time a hole through a chunk of concrete is needed?? No! Through hollow block?? Never. But I'll tell you what life after tasting the forbidden fruit is actually pretty good.

I needed a 4" hole in my block foundation for a dryer vent. Talked to the guy who does our sprinkler coring. $200 bucks later I had a nice clean hole for the prefab vent with the anti-draft cover. He even stepped the hole for the collar. No filling, no patching, no muss, no fuss.

Blaer

At the other extreme from the OP's Hilti, we have a no-name SDS rotohammer. Combined with Bosch core drills and a long arbor, it's no problem at all boring even 2-1/2" holes through concrete-filled block walls. Or, for that matter, putting holes in concrete slabs for ground rods.

A pilot hole helps to keep your bit on line; the weight of the tool will tend to send your hole down at an angle.

With an appropriate sixe bit, there's not much patching to be done. Since mortar comes in caulk tubes, it's not a challenge at all.

Bosch core drills have carbide teeth. No need for diamonds here.

Status
Not open for further replies.