Q1-2100 breaker replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohms law

I recently came across a Q1-2100 breaker that failed. I was told by my local Graybar that I could replace the Q1-2100 with a QO-2100. My concern is the old style breaker had two retaining clipsand the new one is half the length and you can only use one retaining clip. So how is this an acceptable replacement, or is it?

templdl

I recently came across a Q1-2100 breaker that failed. I was told by my local Graybar that I could replace the Q1-2100 with a QO-2100. My concern is the old style breaker had two retaining clipsand the new one is half the length and you can only use one retaining clip. So how is this an acceptable replacement, or is it?

Have you called the manufacturer directly? If the replacement breaker is UL listed as a replacement they will have a letter or another suitable reference that will state as such.
But, you are right to question your distributor. A simple call to the manufacturer should provide a direct answer for you.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Q1 series of breakers were replaced by Q0 breakers almost 30 years ago.
They are completely interchangeable.

The only issue is when the old breaker is a Q1----TF, this top fed version had the cables enter into the side of the breaker, one on the left and one on the right. The breakers can still be interchanged, but the field wiring requires modifications

kwired

Electron manager
My concern is if it was the main breaker, most of those panels had aluminum bus and if the main fails quite often so did the bus connection behind it.

If it was a branch breaker in a >125 amp panel, the bus usually was not aluminum and it may have a better chance of still being usable.

Ohms law

Thanks, I suppose I'll call Square D, that would be the best. I was just questioning the fact the original breaker utilized two retaining clips. The field wiring is not an issue. We recently had an ice storm that swept through, I was replacing the overhead service as well as the meter socket and the existing wire was to short which led to corroded lugs and damaging the lug upon removal. Apparently the original electrician never put any penetrox on the feeders coming in.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Thanks, I suppose I'll call Square D, that would be the best. I was just questioning the fact the original breaker utilized two retaining clips. The field wiring is not an issue. We recently had an ice storm that swept through, I was replacing the overhead service as well as the meter socket and the existing wire was to short which led to corroded lugs and damaging the lug upon removal. Apparently the original electrician never put any penetrox on the feeders coming in.

The old breaker used two retaining clips because it could, not really because it had to.

Your original breaker exceeded its design life. I am not surprised at all that the aluminum body lugs were damaged. Compond should not be added to the connector screw threads unless the manufacturer's instructions specify it.

Go ahead and call Schneider Electric, but here is the answer from their FAQ website:
http://www.schneider-electric.us/sites/us/en/support/faq/faq_main.page

What is the replacement for Q12100 circuit breaker?
The QO2100.....

kbsparky

Square D no longer manufactures or supports the Q1 breakers. You can get `em at breaker brokers, or salvaged from panel replacements, but I would advise against it. Much cheaper to simply replace the entire panel with a QOM main breaker in it.

templdl

Square D no longer manufactures or supports the Q1 breakers. You can get `em at breaker brokers, or salvaged from panel replacements, but I would advise against it. Much cheaper to simply replace the entire panel with a QOM main breaker in it.

Great advise. My concern with sourcing breakers of the used market and their integrity. Having the testing capability to duplicate a factory test in the field to assure that the breakers meet factory specification requires a significant investment is testing equipment.
Installing a used breaker in a panel fills the space but will it protect when required to do so. It is not unusual for a breaker to never be required to trip. As such you may never know a breaker is defective until such time that it fails to trip.
The recommendation to replace the panel is a good one that way you will be providing up to date technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.