Power for a tankless water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Was wandering if a tankless water heater required a GFCI receptacle in a attic space.

eHunter

No, unless the instructions require it. Water heater in the attic:?

My thoughts also.
Sounds like a winter freeze, potential flood hazard... and summer temp conductor derating.
Is the water heater min/max ambient working temperatures consistent with the winter/summer temp extremes of an attic?

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My thoughts also.
Sounds like a winter freeze, potential flood hazard... and summer temp conductor derating.
Is the water heater min/max ambient working temperatures consistent with the winter/summer temp extremes of an attic?

Also a plug-connected electric tankless is going to be pretty puny. More like the undersink kind.
Or is this the control power for a gas tankless?

bobbymari

here in los angeles they are mostly gas tankless mounted on exterior of house thus requiring gfci protection if they are cord conected. Heres the kicker, have been told on more than one occasion they are no longer allowed to be cord connected. I keep seal tight on the truck so not worth the arguement. We are now just in the practice of hardwiring them

Cavie

No restrictions on where they are mounted as far as I know. In garage or outside, yes, GFI protected. I've not seen one in an attic, but if it is allowed, I'm thinking the recptacle would be concidered a required service outlet for personal making it GFI protected. If cord connected you can't cut cord and hardwire unless it is listed to do so.

hurk27

I can't find anywhere in the NEC where GFCI protection is required for receptacles in attic spaces even for the 210.63 required worker receptacle, am I missing something? good idea maybe because of all the grounded duct work but as far as I can tell not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.