60 amp or 100 amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Is there single or multiple "mains" in the fuse box.

If there is a single main (when you pull it the entire box is dead) then it is 60 amp box.

Boxes with two pullout mains were usually considered 100 amp boxes, your picture has a third pullout and could be different depending if that third pullout is also a main.

What size conductors do the main lugs accept? That can be somewhat of a clue if you find no markings.

PetrosA

The wires in the end box look like 60's era #2s. Around here there were no 60A plug-in meters, so gut says minimum 100A on that, plus the socket has a 100 stamped on it, so guessing also 100A. I've never seen a fuse panel with that configuration here in PA, and the largest fuses I've seen for them were 60A, so that would be my guess for the panel, but a lot of times guys would tap multiple disconnects and panels from the feeds to a fuse panel like that, so a "Whaddevah" Amp rating ;)

kwired

Electron manager
I've never seen a fuse panel with that configuration here in PA, and the largest fuses I've seen for them were 60A, so that would be my guess for the panel, but a lot of times guys would tap multiple disconnects and panels from the feeds to a fuse panel like that, so a "Whaddevah" Amp rating ;)

The third pullout makes it a little different than what most of us commonly see, otherwise there were a lot of 100 amp rated panels with two main sets of fuses. The one marked "main" killed power to everything except the other 60 amp pullout. There were 100 and 200 amp pullout fuse carriers, but they were not seen as often as 60 amp pullouts, especially in dwellings. I can think of one place right now where I know there is an old fuse panel (building built in 1950) that has pullout 200 amp mains and some 100 and 60 amp feeders supplied from it, all pull out style fuse holders.

PetrosA

The third pullout makes it a little different than what most of us commonly see, otherwise there were a lot of 100 amp rated panels with two main sets of fuses. The one marked "main" killed power to everything except the other 60 amp pullout. There were 100 and 200 amp pullout fuse carriers, but they were not seen as often as 60 amp pullouts, especially in dwellings. I can think of one place right now where I know there is an old fuse panel (building built in 1950) that has pullout 200 amp mains and some 100 and 60 amp feeders supplied from it, all pull out style fuse holders.

And the 100A and 200A fuses fit those same pullouts? I have some EK-4 fuses here with replaceable fuse strips, but they're rated 31-60A (on the label). Any fused services I saw around here larger than 60A had a separate disconnect with bladed fuses like a NON-100 or NON-200 Class H type fuse. Some had a non bladed type, but it was definitely larger than the little 60A plug fuses. Man, this is a trip down memory lane...

Cavie

I'm guessing your asking about the panel above the meter. That is an 8-16 Murry 100 amp panel. At least they are Murry breakers. The meter would be 100 amp and I'm guessing feeding the fuse panel. Fuse panel feeding the Breaker panel??

bobbymari

I'm guessing your asking about the panel above the meter. That is an 8-16 Murry 100 amp panel. At least they are Murry breakers. The meter would be 100 amp and I'm guessing feeding the fuse panel. Fuse panel feeding the Breaker panel??

His original question was in regards to the fuse box which most everyone as well as myself seem to believe its 100 amp. In regards to load center feed those appear to be #6's. Could be a 50 or 60 amp setup. I still say upgrade......

kwired

Electron manager
And the 100A and 200A fuses fit those same pullouts? I have some EK-4 fuses here with replaceable fuse strips, but they're rated 31-60A (on the label). Any fused services I saw around here larger than 60A had a separate disconnect with bladed fuses like a NON-100 or NON-200 Class H type fuse. Some had a non bladed type, but it was definitely larger than the little 60A plug fuses. Man, this is a trip down memory lane...

I never said they would fit in a 60 amp fuse holder, I was merely pointing out there were panels that had 100 and 200 amp fuse holders, they were more common in commercial installs than residential installs. Most residential installs just never had the load to need them.

PetrosA

I never said they would fit in a 60 amp fuse holder, I was merely pointing out there were panels that had 100 and 200 amp fuse holders, they were more common in commercial installs than residential installs. Most residential installs just never had the load to need them.

Sorry, i read your post too quickly. Most light commercial installs that I saw were in town and had a 100 or 200A fused knife switch above the end box. Never saw that size in pullouts.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry, i read your post too quickly. Most light commercial installs that I saw were in town and had a 100 or 200A fused knife switch above the end box. Never saw that size in pullouts.

Still run into meter/mains on rural services on a pole sometimes that have either 100 or 200 amp pull out fuse assemblies, and know of a couple commercial installs that do have old fuse panels with 100 and/or 200 amp pull out fuseholders, that are still in service.

hurk27

I can't remember the brand of that panel as I have run into them before, the pullout on the far left is like an optional main which in the ones I have worked on was 100 amp with the flat blade contacts on each end of the fuse, it might be a Wadsworth, most 60 amp panels had two pullouts and 4 to 6 Edison base fuses where the 100 amp panels had two pullouts unless it had the separate main like this one, and had 8 to 12 Edison base fuses, the 200 amp ones had up to 4 pull outs would have 12 to 20 Edison base fuses, some were designed so you could add extra fuse blocks in groups of 4, I have found them in both commercial as well as dwellings some of the old beach houses around here that had all electric heating had 200 amp ones, I find it strange that the meter is fed from the tap box below it, those conductors look like 3/0 in it, the meter must have a conduit out the right side to the panel out of view, the left pullout of the two side by side looks like it feeds the added breaker panel.

The only way to know for sure is to pull out the far left main and see what size fuses are in it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.