lockout cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkSafe

LO/TO should be removed if the employee who is/was working on the equipment is not there. In your situation, your lock should have been removed when you completed the work for the weekend, and reapplied when you started work a few days later. A generic lock can be put in it's place to prevent anyone from using the equipment in the mean time. OSHA also has specific steps that must be taken prior to removing a LO/TO lock.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have problem with the LOTO being removed. If the tag had a ph# that should have been the first step.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have problem with the LOTO being removed. If the tag had a ph# that should have been the first step.

well, that is why my name and phone number is on all my locks.
tags can disappear, but a padlock with a name and phone number
is somewhat durable. it's a $12 nylon and steel shackle lock, a
throwaway. a lot of the places i work don't have a LOTO plan in place.

hell, a lot of them, the panel schedules aren't even in english.
ever read a korean panel schedule?

so, if you have to cut one of them off, almost any bolt cutter
will suffice, but it's extremely hazardous to remove a safety
lockout.

especially one of mine. i take it personally. there is NO reason
you can't make a call, and ask why i put that on there before
you cut it off. i have no problem with losing a $12 lock, AFTER
you call me.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
LO/TO should be removed if the employee who is/was working on the equipment is not there. In your situation, your lock should have been removed when you completed the work for the weekend, and reapplied when you started work a few days later. A generic lock can be put in it's place to prevent anyone from using the equipment in the mean time. OSHA also has specific steps that must be taken prior to removing a LO/TO lock.

He did not come back "a few days later". The e-call was on Sunday, he came back the following day. Shouldn't have been an issue. And why the heck does HIS lock need to be removed, but a "generic" lock would be OK in its place? I'm confused. :?

John120/240

He did not come back "a few days later". The e-call was on Sunday, he came back the following day. Shouldn't have been an issue. And why the heck does HIS lock need to be removed, but a "generic" lock would be OK in its place? I'm confused. :?

A generic lock would be under the control of the facility. The electricians lock well...that would be his personal lock to apply when he is actively engaged in trouble shooting and repair. I can see a generic lock being applied for nights and weekends.

WorkSafe

The purpose of the LOTO (per OSHA 1910.147) is to protect the employee while he/she is servicing or maintaining the equipment. He/she is not doing either of those if they are not there, thus the locks should be removed.

OSHA has a standard that deals with equipment that may be left in a unsafe/hazardous condition, and that would be under 1910.145.

You start leaving LO/TO locks on and nobody is around, they start losing their meaning and purpose.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The purpose of the LOTO (per OSHA 1910.147) is to protect the employee while he/she is servicing or maintaining the equipment. He/she is not doing either of those if they are not there, thus the locks should be removed.

OSHA has a standard that deals with equipment that may be left in a unsafe/hazardous condition, and that would be under 1910.145.

You start leaving LO/TO locks on and nobody is around, they start losing their meaning and purpose.

OK, I think I can see your point. What should have happened is that one of those multi-lockout devices should have been applied and the electrician's AND the facility's locks applied along with any necessary tags. The electrician leaves and takes his lock, but the device is still safed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.