Arc Flash PPE procedure when the line side only is live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strahan

Hello all, I'm having trouble finding a solid answer to this question: When working in an industrial control panel 480V 3phase after powering down the main disconnect located in or on this panel is the full PPE still required to perform work in this panel? I know it is required for all testing purposes but once it is considered dead is it still needed? Meaning the only hazard present would be on the line side of the disconnect feeding into this panel.

The company has taken the stance of saying yes so thats what we have to follow, but I would like to know if NFPA 70E has any clear rules on this.

Thanks!!!!

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Yup, line side rules in my interpretation as well. The only mitigating factor would be if the conductors were wrapped and the lugs somehow sealed so there was no exposed conductor.Then you could maybe make the case that an arc is improbable by doing a rick mitigation exercise. But generally I think that's the accepted practice.
John M

Strahan

Yup, line side rules in my interpretation as well. The only mitigating factor would be if the conductors were wrapped and the lugs somehow sealed so there was no exposed conductor.Then you could maybe make the case that an arc is improbable by doing a rick mitigation exercise. But generally I think that's the accepted practice.
John M

Thank you. I have heard / read comments about wrapping the line lugs / conductors but this process just didn't appeal to me. In my mind it's asking for problems. When we can we always open the upstream disconnect if it's feasible. The problem we run into is that the upstream breaker usually has other loads on it that cannot be shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.