Drinking water on the job site

• Water Keg

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Bottled Water

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the electrical foreman on my job site. I supervise 5 to 8 guys and work with my tools as well. The last 2 companies I've worked for told me "We did the math and bottled water is cheaper than paying someone to wash the keg 2 to three times per week buy ice and cups and fill the keg". The company I work for is reimbursing me for the bottle water that I'm buying for my men but my Project Manager said he was getting flack for it. I can't seem to find anything to support my claim that bottles are cheaper than kegs in the long run. I'd just like a link or something to put his mind at ease.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just my 2 cents--- there are a lot of studies that show the plastic used in those bottles are extremely toxic esp. if they are in the heat for extended periods of time. I have never been able to drink from them as I can taste the plastic or something that is not palatable.

Rewire

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We have a water cooler(s) with 5 gallon bottles on the job is there when there is no drinking water available from sources like a permanent bathroom.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
We use water coolers with 5 gallon bottle. Tell the PM to call the office himself, its above your pay grade to argue with the office.

iwire

Staff member
Just my 2 cents--- there are a lot of studies that show the plastic used in those bottles are extremely toxic esp. if they are in the heat for extended periods of time. I have never been able to drink from them as I can taste the plastic or something that is not palatable.

Isn't the typical job site water jug plastic?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I didn't say to use water jugs either. If you think this plastic situation is an urban legend then you can continue using the bottles. Did you read the update at the end of the urban legend link? That was 2007 and the update was 2009-- it is now 2013.

In fact, there was a scientist on NPR saying that he believe in the next few years that these water bottles will be banned. IMO, there is enough info to make me not use them besides the fact that I hate the taste from them.

BTW, certain plastics are not an issue.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well maybe I have been misled as everything I read says no evidence of an issue however there was a bit on NPR about it.. I apologize as I may be wrong but it does not change the fact that I get a nasty taste when I drink from them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is an article I found that doesn't quite dismiss the issue.

Fact or Fiction:
Drinking out of a plastic water bottle left in a hot car can lead to cancer?
That?s the buzz on the Internet.� It?s convient, fresh and clean.
Or is it?
?The problem with water bottles is, it?s made of plastic,? said Dr. Ravi Patel with Comprehensive Blood and Cancer Center. ?And there?s different kinds of plastic. Plastics actually release different chemicals in different situations.?
Dr.�Patel, founder of the Comprehensive Blood and Cancer Center, says heat can release cancer-causing toxins, which leak from plastic into water and even food.
There are two chemicals he says pose the biggest threat.
?Dioxin and another one, �BPA,�Bisphenol A,�These two products are connected to plastics and that has been associated with a whole host of health issues including birth defects, cancer. A variety of things,? said Dr. Patel.
17News contacted Dr. Patel after receiving an email that suggested�leaving bottled water in your car is very dangerous. The email said plastic water bottles have been�been identified as the most common cause of high levels of dioxin in breast cancer tissue.
The email claims to be from Johns Hopkins University, but when the school?s website was checked, there was�no mention of this.
Many believe it?s a hoax. But, Dr. Patel still says it?s a real possibility.
?You don?t want to wait for all the evidence to show you it causes cancer. There?s enough evidence right now that it can be carcinogens. So if it?s easy and simple to avoid the product in your life, you should try to avoid it.?
But The American Cancer Society says more research needs to be done.
?There really isn?t evidence and there�really isn?t going to be evidence soon about how these things increase individual cancer risk. The individual risk of developing cancer is going to be very very small,? said Dr. Tune with The American Cancer Society.
Though doctor Tune downplays the connection, he says high levels of BPA have been linked to an increased risk of reproductive issues, not cancer.
As we wait for more research, Dr. Patel says now is the time to start changing habits.
?I think the psychological makeup that the water bottle is the cleanest safest thing isn?t necessarily true. So, if you go ahead and look at the mug, you look at the steel mug, and then you look at the water bottle. It?s equally easy to carry. It?s an easy change to make. It could be a change that affects your family, your children, your health on a long term basis,? said Dr. Patel.
So if plastic is still your pleasure, look at the triangle on the bottom of any plastic container or water bottle.
Researchers say it?s important to stay away from anything with the number 7 or PVC.
Those products contain higher levels of chemicals.

Rewire

I remember when in basic they showed us a chart on how much fluid loss you had at different tempetures and activity levels. It was part of training on heat stroke and heat exaustion I think I am going to give a talk on this at our next safety meeting with the summer heat just around the corner.

Hold up your canteen.....

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm the electrical foreman on my job site. I supervise 5 to 8 guys and work with my tools as well. The last 2 companies I've worked for told me "We did the math and bottled water is cheaper than paying someone to wash the keg 2 to three times per week buy ice and cups and fill the keg". The company I work for is reimbursing me for the bottle water that I'm buying for my men but my Project Manager said he was getting flack for it. I can't seem to find anything to support my claim that bottles are cheaper than kegs in the long run. I'd just like a link or something to put his mind at ease.

then your project manager can, every single fricking day, buy ice, wash out the igloo cooler with baking soda, fill it with
ice, and water, and make sure it's available on the jobsite, AT STARTING TIME.

so he'd better get his sorry ass up a little earlier. we don't want to take a production person off work. let him do it,
as he doesn't seem to have anything worthwhile to do.

there is a federal labor law that says the employer SHALL provide drinking water, and sanitary services.

while he's at it, have him check the porta potti, for toilet paper. i may need to take a crap this morning.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Well maybe I have been misled as everything I read says no evidence of an issue however there was a bit on NPR about it.. I apologize as I may be wrong but it does not change the fact that I get a nasty taste when I drink from them.

If you can taste anything but water, then there obviously is something in there. I can taste and smell plastic, too, but it's not too bad in the latest batch of plastics used for water bottles.

I can't drink chlorinated water. It's nasty. City folk can hardly tell the difference. I was brought up on spring water, we had dozens of them near our property and our water, at 27 feet, was perfect. So you and I may be more sensitive to impurities than the average commoner.

When I was in R&D at Howmet, they used one and only one kind of plastic. Nalgene. It was the only plastic that would not contaminate the samples. Back then, Nalgene was very expensive. Now you can actually get Nalgene water bottles. I have one and there is no odor or taste from the plastic at all.

The plastic used for water bottles on bicycles is horrible. It makes the water taste like paint.

The plastic used for clear single serve bottles is not the same as the translucent plastic used for milk and gallon bottles of water. I don't get any bad taste from that type of plastic and now I must drink bottled water as I have a well water contamination issue.

So, for discerning taste buds like ours, it's either glass, Nalgene or milk style plastic........but, the milk style plastic is made to be kept cold and may break down if it gets hot.

At the work site, I bring my own water. I have never liked the thought of the community canteen.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I was gonna say the same thing. My guess it's more likely the water you're tasting. People tell you there is no difference but there is. I only drink Disani water (if I can) as it's very pure tasting. One time a group donated about three cases of drinking water to our Little League, you could actually see dirt floating in the bottle.

growler

The problem is that materials cost and labor cost have always been seperate issues on a job.

The job of the PM is to control materials cost and the job of the foreman is to control labor cost by getting the most out of the men.

Now if you use the old fashioned water keg then it may cost more in the long run but it doesn't show up as a materials cost. The problem is solved for the PM.

Try to figure out how many hours of labor that were calculated for this job for the washing and filling of the water keg or the purchase of ice. There was no time calculated for this so it doesn't exist.

I think bottled water is a better option.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I was gonna say the same thing. My guess it's more likely the water you're tasting. People tell you there is no difference but there is. I only drink Disani water (if I can) as it's very pure tasting. One time a group donated about three cases of drinking water to our Little League, you could actually see dirt floating in the bottle.

All bottled water is not the same.

Look at the labels.

Pure spring water. That's what comes out of an Ice Mountain bottle from Michigan. It's filtered, but not purified and really is spring water with the minerals intact. There was a big controversy over this here a few years ago.

Purified drinking water. Water that can come from anywhere but is purified, usually by reverse osmosis.

Distilled water. Simply, water purified by distillation.

Since both purified and distilled water have been stripped of minerals, they really taste flat. Almost not palatable unless you are really thirsty. So, again, looking at the labels, you may see something like 'minerals added for taste'. Examples are Calcium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate and Magnesium Sulfate, which are the ones in my favorite bottled water, Nestle's Pure Life, which is RO purified water with minerals. I think it tastes as close as clean spring water as you can get.

I am very sensitive to smells. I can smell stuff in water most people can't, and of course must suffer their wrath and ridicule for not wanting to drink it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree that it is not the water. Water should not have a foul taste. When the bottle of water is chilled the taste is not as dominant but when room temperature I cannot drink it.

I also can taste some red dyes that they use for icings on cakes. It tastes very bitter to me while others cannot taste it. Interesting enough I am not a picky eater at all but those two things do bother me.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I agree that it is not the water. Water should not have a foul taste. When the bottle of water is chilled the taste is not as dominant but when room temperature I cannot drink it.

I also can taste some red dyes that they use for icings on cakes. It tastes very bitter to me while others cannot taste it. Interesting enough I am not a picky eater at all but those two things do bother me.

The times I noticed the worst taste was in warm bottled water. I put the Nalgene bottle I have to the taste test and even warm there is no smell or taste. Nalgene is also designed to be washed and re-used without contaminating lab samples. It is not designed to break down rapidly in the environment like the plastic in bottles meant for single use.

Do you taste anything foul in beverages sold in metal cans? I do and I know why. Metal cans are coated on the inside with epoxy made from a chemical called bisphenol A. Some of the contents will leech it out. Beer is where I notice it.

Unless you are buying food, water and other beverages stored in glass, it's probably been stored in contact with some kind of plastic or plastic type substance.

Circa 1935 a company called Kruger decided to try to sell beer in cans for the first time. Fearing public resistance of metal coming in contact with the beer, they actually branded and advertised that they coat the inside of the cans with plastic so the beer was safe. They called it 'Keglined'.

first_1.jpg

How's that for useless trivia??? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.