POCO and Voltage Drop Disagreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Even around 5 or so volts? Seems to me that would benefit all connected homes, as voltage under load would be closer to 240 and 245 volts shouldn't have any adverse affects on equipment when loads are lower.
Light bulbs burning out sooner? Each house having its lights wink on motor starting?
One way or another you need to keep each individual house service voltage drop low enough. The only solid reason to change the taps is low voltage at the transformer.
If there is a problem with primary resistance, then each house will affect the others too, which you want to avoid.

Meter can lugs will accept up to 300kcmil, so conductor size shouldn't be an issue.

A condutor has two ends.....:) The POCO emergency crews have a standard set of tools and equipment on the truck so that they can service/replace standard stuff. If there are oddball installations, then repairing those would be not cost effective.
The other main issue is WHO pays for the losses due to voltage drop. Before the meter: the POCO does, so it is reasonable to set their rates and restrictions.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Even around 5 or so volts? Seems to me that would benefit all connected homes, as voltage under load would be closer to 240 and 245 volts shouldn't have any adverse affects on equipment when loads are lower.
I'm not saying otherwise. I'm just saying the POCO will likely not change it simply based on positing the theoretical aspect. I'm saying until you demonstrate your voltage, and the other household's, is substandard, they'll likely not change it... and you currently cannot make that demonstration. That said, the possibility exists, so it depends a lot on whose ear you bend...

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So you're saying that the trans. probably doesn't have voltage taps for adjustment? I guess that I was just assuming that it probably did.

Correct. It may have a dual voltage switch, for example the XF can be used on a 12.4 and a 24.9 system, but it won't have taps like you are referring to unless it is a special order.

A-1Sparky

Correct. It may have a dual voltage switch, for example the XF can be used on a 12.4 and a 24.9 system, but it won't have taps like you are referring to unless it is a special order.

Gotcha...this is a straight 12470 to 120/240 trans. Even without the possibility of providing a higher secondary voltage, I should be fine with my calculated load and 250s that I planned on running. As a utility guy, what's your take?

A-1Sparky

A condutor has two ends.....:) The POCO emergency crews have a standard set of tools and equipment on the truck so that they can service/replace standard stuff. If there are oddball installations, then repairing those would be not cost effective.
The other main issue is WHO pays for the losses due to voltage drop. Before the meter: the POCO does, so it is reasonable to set their rates and restrictions.

The losses before the meter would be negligible, as the distance from the trans. to the meter is only around 20'. Losses on the load side of the meter are my issue and should not be regulated by the POCO, as they do not own from the meter to the house. As far as conductors having two ends, 250s or 300s will fit in the can's lugs and I can use reducing pins at the panel if necessary.

A-1Sparky

I'm not saying otherwise. I'm just saying the POCO will likely not change it simply based on positing the theoretical aspect. I'm saying until you demonstrate your voltage, and the other household's, is substandard, they'll likely not change it... and you currently cannot make that demonstration. That said, the possibility exists, so it depends a lot on whose ear you bend...

I understand what you're saying...definitely makes sense. I wouldn't expect them to change anything that they didn't have to, especially based on theoretical issues.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The Taps may no even have to be adjusted, as long as the voltage is within the utilities set limits through out the year at the meter.

What needs to be known are the voltage variations at the primary throughout the year which will determine variations at the secondary. If the voltage is stable and if you need to adjust the taps this should not be much of an issue. However, like other have said the other houses will get higher voltages.

But as long as its within limits your ok. I also wouldnt worry about motor loads or large loads considering its an all propane house.

Keep in mind the way the utility will do this there will be more voltage drop than your way. Set pad 100 ft from house and add a #6 AL URD,,, 4/0AL 250 ft your way.

A-1Sparky

I spoke with the same rep. this afternoon and he suggested that I speak with the manager on Monday morning. I'm going to get all of my ducks in a row this weekend so that I can argue my case come Monday. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Believe me, I've considered it. But, I think it would be cost prohibitive. And my experience and faith in solar power is limited.

In the right hands, it can be very reliable, but in terms of operating costs (battery replacement) and amortized capital costs, you would be lucky to get as low as $1.00/kWh over the life of the system. More likely $2.00 or more. And you still need to have a generator for backup and for maintenance.

A-1Sparky

In the right hands, it can be very reliable, but in terms of operating costs (battery replacement) and amortized capital costs, you would be lucky to get as low as $1.00/kWh over the life of the system. More likely $2.00 or more. And you still need to have a generator for backup and for maintenance.

My thoughts exactly.

templdl

This transformer is for 3 homes and three homes only. Currently, there is only one home on it. Mine would be home #2. There is the possibility of one more home being added in the distant future. It was sized for 3 very large homes with significant loads, so there's no problem there. When I speak with someone at the POCO again, I plan on mentioning tapping my secondaries at a higher voltage.

Please don't us the term secondary as the POCO me question you knowledge. In order to maintain your credibility with the POCO the taps are on the Primary of the transformer.
It sounds as if there may be a possibility that the group of 3 homes may have the same set backs and as such each home may experience similar age drops you may end up doing some compromising.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Gotcha...this is a straight 12470 to 120/240 trans. Even without the possibility of providing a higher secondary voltage, I should be fine with my calculated load and 250s that I planned on running. As a utility guy, what's your take?

See, that's where I am confused on the entire situation. It really isn't the POCO's business as it is on the customers side of the meter. You can run the feeders for a thousand feet if you want to IMO. Voltage drop is determined by the load, why does the POCO try to limit customer wiring if they aren't responsible for it? It reminds me of the post going now where the locate guy took the bond loose like an idiot. Hey, maybe this is the same guy...

A-1Sparky

See, that's where I am confused on the entire situation. It really isn't the POCO's business as it is on the customers side of the meter. You can run the feeders for a thousand feet if you want to IMO. Voltage drop is determined by the load, why does the POCO try to limit customer wiring if they aren't responsible for it? It reminds me of the post going now where the locate guy took the bond loose like an idiot. Hey, maybe this is the same guy...

I'm confused too. I've never experienced this sort of limitation before. This is in Vermont, and I've never dealt with this POCO before. Hopefully they'll listen to reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.