Certification in California

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to get back into the electrical field after an extended absence (about 6 years). I have 2 years of non-union experience. I worked on a project at the airport in Long Beach,Ca for that 2 year period and had the opportunity to learn a lot about the field and had a lot of hands on experience working in a commercial setting( airport hangars and office buildings). In the past 8 years I have worked residential side jobs here and there while working full time in an unrelated field, I recently decided to get back on track in electrical and have acquired the 5th edition NEC and several other things to study from because I love the work! I looked into what it may take for me to acquire my California certification but I saw a lot of conflicting information in my search results. I was hoping that if any one here had any helpful info to pass along they would help me out. It would be much appreciated!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What is it you need to know?

you will need to sign up as an apreintice and enroll in a course. Did you have any credit twoards the program in the past .

What is it you need to know?

you will need to sign up as an apreintice and enroll in a course. Did you have any credit twoards the program in the past .

I read some information that said it wouldn't be possible to get the certification unless i had 5+ years in an apprentice program, which I do not have. I also don't know if it is possible to claim the 2 years of job experience I got as credit towards the certification, and if it is possible, how I might go about claiming it. Im basically starting back at square one as far as my education goes and any advice would be helpful.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
PM me with your info, I will put you in touch with the person you need to speak with.

Your 2 year work experience will count towards your 8000 hours of required experience.

Unless the law has recently changed, you don't need to be enrolled or have finished a apprenticship program.

Status
Not open for further replies.