Post and beam construction tips, do's and donts appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeymnhn

Was called to put a sub panel in a new constructed garage/barn. Nicely done post and beam. They want lights and plugs and a garage door opener receptacle. I havent done any previous post and beam work. Any do's and donts are greatly appreciated.
Was planning on a 6 ct sub. 30 amp. Would give me enough for what I need. Just need to know how to run wire. Is there a way to get around the posts without pulling out the hole hawg and turning the place into swiss cheese? What is generally done when running wire around in construction like this. Obviously the owner spent big money putting it up? Dont know why but I think punching holes in all the beams isnt the way its done. Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Was called to put a sub panel in a new constructed garage/barn. Nicely done post and beam. They want lights and plugs and a garage door opener receptacle. I havent done any previous post and beam work. Any do's and donts are greatly appreciated.
Was planning on a 6 ct sub. 30 amp. Would give me enough for what I need. Just need to know how to run wire. Is there a way to get around the posts without pulling out the hole hawg and turning the place into swiss cheese? What is generally done when running wire around in construction like this. Obviously the owner spent big money putting it up? Dont know why but I think punching holes in all the beams isnt the way its done. Thanks

For concealed wiring you don't have much choice other than to use a lot more material and go up into ceiling and back down to get around a post. Usually they have horizontal "purlins" attached to the posts, you can follow them but it may restrict what wiring methods used with the rules for keeping 1-1/4 away from face of framing member with some methods. If using NM cable you first have to decide if this is an application where NM cable is permitted to be used. If it is a dwelling accessory building - it generally can be used otherwise you will find most of the time it can not be used. Usually depends on building finishes.

joeymnhn

Thanks. It is not going to be finished inside. Guess will have to check with the the local sheriff (ahj) as to the use of nm. My other concern is drilling any holes in beams or crossmembers. The structural integrity as well as the aesthetics of it. definetly think it will be a pipe job. Wife had it built, husband wants cheapest wat to throw some lights and plugs in it.

plumb bob

I would give him 3 numbers:

Pipe $$$$

cable neatly run and hidden as much as possible $$$

cable run easiest route $$

Put the ball in his court.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe I should ask exactly what you mean by post and beam? I assumed the typical pole building seen around here, but maybe it is something a little different? Building I had in mind has posts (could be round or square posts, most of the time square), and each post supports a truss rafter for the roof. They are heavy trusses that are free spanning so no interior supports are needed. Each post then has horizontal purlins (usually 2x4's) to attach exterior finish to. If the interior is to have a finish they will put purlins on inside of posts also.

joeymnhn

This building does have horizontal aprx 4x4 post between the beams. To facilitate the exterior siding. The floor is poured concrete.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This building does have horizontal aprx 4x4 post between the beams. To facilitate the exterior siding. The floor is poured concrete.
Uncertain what type of framing you are describing.

Click on following links to see examples of the various types:

Pole barn/building framing: https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...JPjd4APy94GYDg&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1032&bih=1128
Post and beam framing: https://www.google.com/search?q=pos...&biw=1032&bih=1128&sei=98Z7UaXRHNTi4AP0-YDwDg
Timber framing: https://www.google.com/search?q=tim...Oe84HgAg&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1032&bih=1128

Note post and beam framing and timber framing are quite similar.

kwired

Electron manager
Uncertain what type of framing you are describing.

Click on following links to see examples of the various types:

Pole barn/building framing: https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...JPjd4APy94GYDg&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1032&bih=1128
Post and beam framing: https://www.google.com/search?q=pos...&biw=1032&bih=1128&sei=98Z7UaXRHNTi4AP0-YDwDg
Timber framing: https://www.google.com/search?q=tim...Oe84HgAg&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1032&bih=1128

Note post and beam framing and timber framing are quite similar.

The Post and Beam framing described in those threads is usually intended to be framing that is exposed and was chosen for aesthetic reasons. Generally not the choice for a garage or barn, as the "pole barn" construction method likely costs less.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The Post and Beam framing described in those threads is usually intended to be framing that is exposed and was chosen for aesthetic reasons. Generally not the choice for a garage or barn, as the "pole barn" construction method likely costs less.
I know this. Now look at thread title and follow up descriptions by OP'er. I don't think the OP'er is confused, but some of the thread participants are...

kwired

Electron manager
I know this. Now look at thread title and follow up descriptions by OP'er. I don't think the OP'er is confused, but some of the thread participants are...
I know one that may have been:happyyes:

When he said it was a garage/barn, the first thing that came to mind was the typical "pole barn" construction. I don't know why anyone would use "post and beam" for such a structure unless looks were more important than function for some reason.

If OP does truly have a post and beam, then they don't want him drilling anything unless absolutely necessary, and as much as possible, they don't even want to be able to see his wiring method period.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I know one that may have been:happyyes:

When he said it was a garage/barn, the first thing that came to mind was the typical "pole barn" construction. I don't know why anyone would use "post and beam" for such a structure unless looks were more important than function for some reason.

If OP does truly have a post and beam, then they don't want him drilling anything unless absolutely necessary, and as much as possible, they don't even want to be able to see his wiring method period.
Exactly... :D

Perhaps Wiremold???

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Perhaps Wiremold???
That is supposed to look better on the surfaces we are talking about??

Nicest looking thing I have seen on wood framing was wood molding with a groove plowed in it to conceal cables in. At least it looks like it belongs there instead of looking like something that doesn't belong there.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That is supposed to look better on the surfaces we are talking about??
Better than exposed NM or EMT... a matter of opinion, but some think so.

Nicest looking thing I have seen on wood framing was wood molding with a groove plowed in it to conceal cables in. At least it looks like it belongs there instead of looking like something that doesn't belong there.
Obviously a better appearance than all the above... :D

joeymnhn

Thanks for all the inputs. After looking at the examples it is a type of "pole barn" construction. I was only in it for a minute. deciding on a location for the panel, and trench location to the garage. Which was the main reason I was there. On the way out he mentioned about some plugs and lights. I havent given him a price on it. It was just a quick glance around. It was when I was heading down the road the type of construction dawned on me. Realized I have never done work with this type of construction. Yes, it is built for looks and is high quality.(money) Maybe talk with the builder also.

Status
Not open for further replies.