Single phase Existing Dwelling Service Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
If you have parallel 1/0 Thhn in a dwelling do you have a 350A Service per 310.15(B)(7) or do you use 310.15(B)(16) an use 75Deg column an an have a 300A Service

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I would think 310.15(B)(7) considering its both a dwelling and both 300 and 350amp services are recognized in the table. The only difference being parralleled conducters to get your 350kcmil equivalent in the table. Looking further no exclusion comes out either.

Im 90% sure in the above in that its the way the AHJ allows here, but it might be interpreted differently where your district.

jumper

Couldnt the parallel conducter tables also apply considering your getting an equivalent though to the dwelling table?

Look at the heading of 310.15(B)(7).

(7) 120/240-Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services
and Feeders.

I would say that pretty means this section does not apply for parallel feeds to a dwelling.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
CMP 6 does not agree. The following is a proposal and panel action for the 1996 code
6-74- (Article 310, Notes to Ampacity Tables of 0 to 2000 Volts, Note 3): Reject
SUBMITTER: R.W. Worthing, Auberry, CA
RECOMMENDATION: Add new text at the beginning of the second sentence to read:
Application of this Note shall not be permitted for conductors connected in parallel.
SUBSTANTIATION: At a recent Section meeting of the 1AEI, the question of the applicability of Note 3 to parallel conductors was
raised. No consensus was established. Actions, by CMP 6, whether in acceptance or rejection of this Proposal, will establish, for the
record,the position of the Panel.
PANEL ACTION: Reject.
PANEL STATEMENT: Conductors 1/0 and larger are permitted to be paralleled by Section 310-4. This would apply to Note 3.
NUMBER OF PANEL MEMBERS ELIGIBLETO VOTE: 10
VOTE ON PANEL ACTION:
AFFIRMATIVE: 10
Note 3 to the ampacity tables in the 1993 code was the equivalent of 310.15(B)(7) in the 2011 code.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Not saying anyones wrong, but what the reasoning though behind not allowing the table for parallels? Heat build up?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
CMP 6 does not agree. The following is a proposal and panel action for the 1996 code

Note 3 to the ampacity tables in the 1993 code was the equivalent of 310.15(B)(7) in the 2011 code.
That leaves a big question on how to determine the proper size parallel conductors. For example, 1/0 is okay for a 175 service, 350kcmil okay for a 350A service. So is parallel 1/0 okay for a 350A service? If we look at Table 310.15(B)(16) 1/0 is rated 150A, 350kcmil is rated 310A... thus two 1/0 would not equal or exceed the rating of a single 350kcmil.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That leaves a big question on how to determine the proper size parallel conductors. For example, 1/0 is okay for a 175 service, 350kcmil okay for a 350A service. So is parallel 1/0 okay for a 350A service? If we look at Table 310.15(B)(16) 1/0 is rated 150A, 350kcmil is rated 310A... thus two 1/0 would not equal or exceed the rating of a single 350kcmil.
The CMP did not give any guidance with their answer. I would say that parallel 1/0s would be good for a 350 amp service based on their comment.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There is nothing in 310.15(B)(7) that allows parallel conductors. IMO, you must use Table 310.15(B)(16)
Agreed. More specifically, the word "ampacity" does not appear anywhere in that table. The table is a "permission granted" opportunity, not a "here is another way to look at ampacity" opportunity.

I once submitted a proposal similar to the one Don quotes above. Mine was rejected for essentially the same reason, and with essentially the same lack of clarification. What I would like the CMP to do is to change the title or instructions of the table to explicitly state that the numbers represent allowable ampacities, so that we can clearly parallel conductors in order to get higher ampacities. Right now, all it says is that for this specific installation you can use this specific wire.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Agreed. More specifically, the word "ampacity" does not appear anywhere in that table. The table is a "permission granted" opportunity, not a "here is another way to look at ampacity" opportunity.

I once submitted a proposal similar to the one Don quotes above. Mine was rejected for essentially the same reason, and with essentially the same lack of clarification. What I would like the CMP to do is to change the title or instructions of the table to explicitly state that the numbers represent allowable ampacities, so that we can clearly parallel conductors in order to get higher ampacities. Right now, all it says is that for this specific installation you can use this specific wire.
I think someone mentioned in another thread, there is an accepted proposal to change the section in the 2014 NEC edition... anyone know what that entails?

jumper

I think someone mentioned in another thread, there is an accepted proposal to change the section in the 2014 NEC edition... anyone know what that entails?

It is a calculation now and the table is gone. The main power rule for feeders is gone also.

(7) 120/240 Volt, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and
Feeders.
For service and feeder conductors of 120/240-
volt, single-phase, individual dwelling unit one-family,
two-family, and multifamily service ratings from 100 am-
peres through 400 amperes, an adjustment factor of 0.83 of
the service ampere rating shall be permitted to be used to
determine the size of the ungrounded conductors. The
grounded conductor shall be permitted to be smaller than
the ungrounded conductors, provided that the requirements
of 215.2, 220.61, and 230.42 are met.
[ROP 6?49a]

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is a calculation now and the table is gone. The main power rule for feeders is gone also.

(7) 120/240 Volt, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and
Feeders.
For service and feeder conductors of 120/240-
volt, single-phase, individual dwelling unit one-family,
two-family, and multifamily service ratings from 100 am-
peres through 400 amperes, an adjustment factor of 0.83 of
the service ampere rating
shall be permitted to be used to
determine the size of the ungrounded conductors. The
grounded conductor shall be permitted to be smaller than
the ungrounded conductors, provided that the requirements
of 215.2, 220.61, and 230.42 are met.
[ROP 6?49a]

Yes, but note the word I emphasized. It will only affect feeders requiring an ampacity greater than 83% of the service rating.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I probably just need more coffee, but I do not understand.
I probably need some caffeine too. It's not really a big issue. Let's take a 200A service as an example.

200A ? 0.83 =166A

No feeder supplied by this service will be required to have an ampacity greater than 166A.

jumper

I probably need some caffeine too. It's not really a big issue. Let's take a 200A service as an example.

200A ? 0.83 =166A

No feeder supplied by this service will be required to have an ampacity greater than 166A.

Okay, I get your point.

What I was referring to was that now you can drop a load or two at a meter/panel disco and use the calc. for a main feeder to the house panel and not get grief/flack over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.