Acurate proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan

I'm trying to do a proposal for a customer that I do a lot of T&M work for. I don't want to piss him off with a crazy number, but I want to profit also.

The first phase is taking down and properly disposing of (62) 4ft wrap around fixtures and replacing with (62) flourescent fixtures suspended from the ceiling with aircraft cable. That sounds like a royal pain in the butt.

I'm giving a labor number for now, because the fixtures are still being priced out and they want to know what they are looking at in price.

I came up with 8900.00. Please feel free to give me your opinion.

Rewire

I would SWAG 20 manhours to remove but without more info install time will vary. Also need to know how disposal is going to be done? If lights are delivered to site will you be off loading? Will you need to dispose of packing material? Will you have a helper? 80-100 manhours for install depending on conditions.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
There are many-many conditions that will effect the cost of the installation. As stated earlier by Rewire, some of the items you need to have in mind before you give him the proposal.

Also, will you be dumping the fixtures & the bulbs in a regular dump or E-waste or hazardous waste facility? The ceiling is 10'. How high is the structural ceiling that the aircraft cable is attached to?

Why is he getting pissed OFF. You give him a price and stick to it. You need to get pissed off if he doesn't go with your proposal.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I would go with 2 hours to take down and re-install, so 62 x 2 = 124 hrs.

I would go in with $7,900.

Who's the client, can I bid the job? Haha

Is this for installation only? Or it includes, your overhead, disposal, insurance, profit, checking for proper circuits, tools, material, hardware...

Rewire

how many rooms are you dealing with? Working from room to room will cosume time . We disposed of light fixtures they had us remove the ballast and pack them just like the tubes had to be packed. Ar you going to need new whips? I see alot of hours here I would guess total job 160 man hours.

Dolfan

how many rooms are you dealing with? Working from room to room will cosume time . We disposed of light fixtures they had us remove the ballast and pack them just like the tubes had to be packed. Ar you going to need new whips? I see alot of hours here I would guess total job 160 man hours.

I put disposal as separate task on proposal. I forgot to mention that job is one block from where I live.:cool:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Going thru the same dilemma with a customer 3 blocks from my shop. I spent from 3 AM until 11 AM making a nice proposal complete with alternative fixture layouts and simple payback calcs for LED. I walked the prints and proposal over and discovered in the first 45 seconds that the building layout had changed. The POCO had changed there transformer location & size 30 minutes earlier.

Good luck.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm trying to do a proposal for a customer that I do a lot of T&M work for. I don't want to piss him off with a crazy number, but I want to profit also.

The first phase is taking down and properly disposing of (62) 4ft wrap around fixtures and replacing with (62) flourescent fixtures suspended from the ceiling with aircraft cable. That sounds like a royal pain in the butt.

I'm giving a labor number for now, because the fixtures are still being priced out and they want to know what they are looking at in price.

caddy makes a cable hanger that is fast and slick, but pricy.....
if you are quoting labor only, i'd go that way.

you say nothing about where the lights are located, or what is under them.
cannot estimate based on information provided, any more than i could tell
you how to parallell park based on you saying what you see in the rear view
mirror.

hurk27

Why is he getting pissed OFF. You give him a price and stick to it. You need to get pissed off if he doesn't go with your proposal.

He didn't say the owner was getting upset, he was just stating that he didn't want to upset him, which when I bid I already have the reason for my price if they do not like it, so I can offer a good explanation of why it cost this or that, I too like to keep customers as a satisfied customer is a repeat customer, and having a good wording of why something cost so much and being assertive when explaining can go along way to keeping customers, they don't always understand the pricing as they are not in this business, but most of the time when you clear it up in a respective assertive manner and teach them what you know on the pricing you both win, wouldn't you want to know what your money is being spent for? I would, I don't just hand someone my money and say do it, I also would not bid a job that I would be in the same place my full service rate either since allot of the overhead is driving to different locations when doing service calls so you have to cover that cost, but if your doing allot of work in the same place then you don't have that.

caddy makes a cable hanger that is fast and slick, but pricy.....
if you are quoting labor only, I'd go that way.

you say nothing about where the lights are located, or what is under them.
cannot estimate based on information provided, any more than i could tell
you how to parallel park based on you saying what you see in the rear view
mirror.

I agree that it is almost impossible to give a price to someone over the Internet, over the phone or anything that where we don't see the job, there are many things that can change how much we would charge for a job, and I warn anyone from seeking this kind of info from the Internet as if it is to low you only have yourself to blame, there are many aspects we could come up with that might apply or not, such as is there going to be a lift used, are the lights over open aisles or are they over things that have to be moved that will make the job harder, can a scissor lift be used or is a ladder the only way as a ladder will cost the most time/labor, is the drop length less then 6' or does it require special wiring to get to the fixtures, can you use the existing drops (if code compliant) and just change out the fixtures or are you going to have to install all new hardware?

The above is just an example of some of the things you need to ask to know what the job will take, if you are just swapping fixtures out then you are not looking at 2 hours a fixture (at least I would hope not)

To the OP which I believe is in Florida?
A good piece of advice, something I learned awhile ago, since digital cameras have been out and even before them I always carried a Polaroid camera with me and now a simple digital camera, the one I have been using for the last 10 years is just a Kodak 753 easy share, takes great close ups of labels as seen in the thread on vintage electrical equipment , I always took photos of a perspective job just because many times I would see something in the photos while I was sitting down back at the office that I would miss on a bid, also they could be posted here to give us a better idea of what your up against and we could point out maybe an easier way to cut cost on how to do something.

But as far as us trying to price your bid, there are many aspects that can be so much different from place to place across the country that it can make a big difference on how the pricing of a job might come out, even down to just permit pricing, here we have a fixed permit fee schedule set by the state and is much lower then many places across the country, a service change without up sizing is $25.00 service upgrade is $50.00 new construction electrical permit is $100.00 for residential.

Not trying to discourage anyone from asking about bidding on here, just trying to point out that the answer you get might not be the correct one you need, but with the right info of the job we can help on how to go about getting the correct answer if you can provide the correct info on what the job will take like some of the things I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Not trying to discourage anyone from asking about bidding on here, just trying to point out that the answer you get might not be the correct one you need, but with the right info of the job we can help on how to go about getting the correct answer if you can provide the correct info on what the job will take like some of the things I mentioned above.

and there is the "we aren't your estimating department" point of view,
which i've experienced here due to a poorly worded request for feedback,
which was just a smidge arrogant on my part. :dunce:

and the feedback here may not get you where you want to go. six months
ago, i put up the particulars on a job, and was unceremoniously handed my
butt on a plate, like i mentioned above.

feedback that i blew the bid, so to speak, at $50k ish.... the job ended up
with extras at twice that, and proved profitable, thanks to the extras, but
yes, the bid was low.

now, if i'd a bid it like it was suggested here i bid it, my bid woulda probably
knocked my general over the top, and he'd a not got the job, so nobody woulda
gotten the work.

if i'd a had the time to bid it properly, the quote for the lighting package woulda
knocked the bid out of the running. my wholesale house's historical pricing indicated
$10,500 would be a safe number, so he quoted me that, and i put it in the bid at that.

the bid from the lighting rep came in at $38,000. on a $53,000 bid.
good thing the lighting sucked so badly we completely redesigned the lighting.
customer really liked how it turned out, my profit stayed in the black.....

and greedy metalux didn't get $38k for $6k worth of home depot grade strip lights.
god, they were uglier than a mud fence.

there's a wealth of information about field installs here, and how long they might
take, hidden problems, etc. beyond that, well.....

grasfulls

Break it all out

Break it all out

If it is an existing long-standing client, and anyone that pays for a lot of T&M work, as you stated you do with them, I give great breakouts to. I like to give them the details as each line item looks small, including mngmt/oh. Plus to arrive at solid numbers, you may already have a spreadsheet you use that performs this very function based on a percentage of man-hours in the field or whatever you use.

I too show disposal as a separate item, as disposal of fluorescent tubes around here can be costly. Some charge per lamp PLUS employee time taking down, boxing, delivering, etc. Then you can let a client decide if they want to do the disposal themselves.

How did you arrive at your numbers? Some of the questions I would have, already iterated by some are:

1) Height of attachment point
2) Is there a deadline?
3) What are work days/hours? (sometimes they may be odd if it is an in-use space for a business)
4) Is it unobstructed space?
5) Who will move stuff around (if it needs it)?
6) Is it an older building where things like asbestos may be present?
7) Is it a level surface you are working off of in all areas?
8) Have you looked at LED or induction fluorescent?
9) How far do you park form the work area?
10) How much is travel time?
11)Where is staging performed relative to work area?
12) Have you accounted for ordering, receiving, inspection of all fixtures
13) 11 needs to include all the cardboard afterward and an allowance for damaged lights.
14) Use lots of allowances, do not use "not-to-exceed"
15) Clean up at the end of each work day
16) Where normal refuse goes
17) Does the client require floor protection through traffic areas?
18) Are all hangar points available? (no ducting, sprinklers, conduit, etc)

The above is not exhaustive and may not even apply in all cases, plus, you may have them all in place to prepare initial bids already. But, since you asked, we get to reply as we deem appropriate. Each task is a set amount of time that may be a standard for many jobs so they only need to be put together once as a list and values inserted in the future.

Boiler-plate verbiage is good too, like "estimate based on unobstructed access to all work areas" and "no other trades in area during change-out" so when you arrive and someone has set 8 pallets of stuff in the way or an HVAC person is setting duct where your points of attachment were going, you can point out what the contract states. Of course, you would need the corresponding verbiage of what the remedial action is when any given "assumed" is not met. IE, "If area is not unobstructed on arrival, work immediately goes to T&M at X per hour per person".

As you compile a boiler-plate of items for contracts, make sure you delete what is unrelated to the job. I remember one architect's binder of specifications for a large project having numerous references to "comply with military standard xxxxx" it was a residence and the client was probably charged a fortune for what appeared to be a ton of work specific to their home. I wonder if he/she was embarrassed when one of my RFI's was "Please confirm necessity to comply with military standards per..."

I have no problem printing my entire spreadsheet out and giving it to long-standing clients because I am next-to-never competing with someone. If I get the inkling I am, that is a different story. Yes, they may abuse it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.