Define Fixed Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

The NEC uses the term "Fixed Wiring" in Article 400.8(1). Yet 400.8(2) seems to define the term of fixed wiring IMO. 400.7(A)(1) & (2) allows the use of flexible cords in the use of pendants and of luminares. With all this said, would a flexible cord that permanently connects to a track fixture permanately attached as a hung/drop type luminaire (all thread) be considered as fixed wiring?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
The NEC uses the term "Fixed Wiring" in Article 400.8(1). Yet 400.8(2) seems to define the term of fixed wiring IMO. 400.7(A)(1) & (2) allows the use of flexible cords in the use of pendants and of luminares. With all this said, would a flexible cord that permanently connects to a track fixture permanately attached as a hung/drop type luminaire (all thread) be considered as fixed wiring?

410.151 Installation. (A) Lighting Track. Lighting track shall be permanently installed and permanently connected to a branch circuit. Only lighting track fittings shall be installed on lighting track. Lighting track fittings shall not be equipped with general-purpose receptacles

kwired

Electron manager
410.151 Installation. (A) Lighting Track. Lighting track shall be permanently installed and permanently connected to a branch circuit. Only lighting track fittings shall be installed on lighting track. Lighting track fittings shall not be equipped with general-purpose receptacles

I don't think that completely answers the OP's question. He is asking if the cord can be the supply to the track.

I still don't think that you can use flexible cord though as it can not be used as a substitute for permanent wiring, and this application is not an exception to that rule. It is not a pendant, it is not wiring of a luminaire, it is the supply conductors to a lighting track. Lighting tracks are not allowed to be portable according to 410.151(A) so there is no need for flexible cord for flexibility or frequent interchanging either.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

Flexable cord would not be permanent. I say not allowed

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Flexable cord would not be permanent. I say not allowed
+1
If the track itself is supported by threaded luminaire support type rod, the wiring from an outlet at the ceiling would have to be done with wire inside that rod or attached to it. And that in turn would have to conform to general wiring requirements as to size, etc. and could not benefit from any fixture wire exceptions.

mwm1752

I am in agreement as the cord is not what I would consider Fixed wiring. The arguements against include permanently connected in which it can be, J box to starter. In my office I have a flourescent fixture hung by cable with a cord connect from canopy to luminaire as a pendant, though the NRTL listing allows this. The use of MC cable for this situation is legal and both methods are not intended to make the track portable. The defined Fixed Wiring would be a needed addition to the code. Thank you for your comments as I exhaust the possibilities for knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.