Company Uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Does your company uniform policy include shorts as an option? Mine doesn't, as I don't see it as being professional.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't think shorts, tshirt and tennies are professional.

And I belive (not 100%) sure, it might be a OSHA requirement to have long pants and sleeved shirt.

Rewire

We have knee length kaki cargo shorts for summer with matching short sleeve collared button shirt with name and logo. Much of our work is outside the temperatures and humidity can get pretty nasty.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Does your company uniform policy include shorts as an option? Mine doesn't, as I don't see it as being professional.
I just don't care much as long as they are neat and decent looking.

What I think is unprofessional looking is guys in scruffy beards and lots of tattoos.

In any case, if you provide the uniforms you get to chose what they wear, but a happy crew tends to work harder and keep the customers happy as well.

I have not quite gotten used to seeing cops in shorts, but that has become fairly common these days as well.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

so.... you've never worked in phoenix in the summer, i see.... :lol:

depending on the region, different customs apply, i've noticed.

normally for me, levis, work boots, and t shirts suffice.
if i'm working in someone's house, white leather new balance
walking shoes......

when i was working in a marina, i wore flip flops, as EVERYONE
did on the docks. anything else would have been wearing steel
toed shoes to a jimmy buffet concert.

safety note: when welding, and using plasma cutter, substitute
shoes and socks for flip flops. it's hard to make nice welds while
dancing and screaming in burning flip flops.

JES2727

Our dress policy:

No sneakers
No shorts
No 'wife beater' T's
No offensive wording on T shirts

Most of our work is commercial & industrial. There's places we wouldn't be allowed in if we showed up in shorts & sneakers.

It's really about what's appropriate for the job site and the image you want. You probably wouldn't send stained blue jeans and a "worked-in" t-shirt to install a new chandelier at a mansion, and you probably wouldn't send chinos and a pristine white polo shirt to do switchgear PM at a 50 year old building or build out an underground service.

One company I worked for simply said no shorts, no ripped clothing, shirts must have collars (unless the client wants something more). At another, we were erecting temp. structures and doing the wiring for a very large outdoor event in the mid-Atlantic- everyone wore shorts. (And when the brass came down from the office, even they changed into shorts (and safety shoes) at the site.)

Oh, and I still have a pair of older safety shoes that look just like sneakers. Had do kick a couple of bricks to show that had steel toes, though; wasn't a problem after that.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I used to work security at an air show. From the time I started until one particular year, the dress codes for cops, firefighters, EMT's, security, and logistics included 'no shorts'.

Well, one year it was so hot that it was decided that wearing long pants may lead to heat related problems with the help. Some of which were volunteers who could go home if they really wanted to.

I think we had rules like no cut offs, or jean shorts. Khaki was deemed OK. I hate wearing shorts and would rather tolerate the heat, but that year was an exception.

I don't wear shorts at work for any reason. Even though we live in Michigan, it still gets hot, almost 100 degrees, here every summer, I just don't feel comfortable working in them.

GUNNING

Uniforms

Uniforms

I like shirts with my company logo and name on them. Pants depend on what the task is. If its crawling in an attic or under a house or digging a ditch then jeans are best. If it is over 80 then shorts are best. Shoes are sneakers.
Branding is important. Clean neat and a good presentable appearance is what counts. A happy crew is a productive crew, but no talking on a cell phone and tools on is a must. NO wife beaters or pants hanging down around the buttox to show the boxers.
:rant: I HATE THAT!:rant:

Cheap and easy uniform is a pocket T with logo on front and back. Really want to dress up the crew is polo shirt and make them wear Dickies pants, accesorise with a logoed sweat shirt / hoodie in the winter. Lets them know you care. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.