Combo Receptacle/USB outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve holt

Does a combo receptacle/USB outlet meet the intent of the required receptacles in 210.52? There is only a single outlet so I am not sure whether it does or not.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
I believe the concern is that the devise has a 15 amp rating, so could it be placed on a circuit with a 20 amp overcurrent devise? Good question.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does a combo receptacle/USB outlet meet the intent of the required receptacles in 210.52? There is only a single outlet so I am not sure whether it does or not.

I brought this question up a month ago at a meeting with about 6 or 7 cmp members. Jeff Fecteau from UL answered the question and said Yes it does meet the req. of 210.52 for small appliance branch circuit . He also said that it could not be fed with a 20 amp individual circuit unless it was a 20 amp unit-- which they make

jumper

I believe the concern is that the devise has a 15 amp rating, so could it be placed on a circuit with a 20 amp overcurrent devise? Good question.

That's a very good point. The one I saw was a duplex so you don't have that concern.

I brought this question up a month ago at a meeting with about 6 or 7 cmp members. Jeff Fecteau from UL answered the question and said Yes it does meet the req. of 210.52 for small appliance branch circuit . He also said that it could not be fed with a 20 amp individual circuit unless it was a 20 amp unit-- which they make

Question: Since I imagine most 15 Amp single receptacles would have terminals rated for 20A, like a duplex, what is the safety issue, code aside?

Are you guys assuming the OP was asking if the USB receptical on the combo counts as the 2nd receptical "needed" to satisfy code when putting a 15 amp device on a dedicated 20 amp circuit?......You all either hijacked the op's thread or deciphered the question way better than I did:)

....or maybe 210.52 is way different in the 2011 than in the 2008. In the 2008 it covers alot of ground.(no, not grounding)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Are you guys assuming the OP was asking if the USB receptical on the combo counts as the 2nd receptical "needed" to satisfy code when putting a 15 amp device on a dedicated 20 amp circuit?......

Not sure what the op really wanted to know. I thought it was obvious that the usb receptacle combo would satisfy the standard recep. requirements so I thought he was talking about the kitchen small appliance branch circuit.

As you can see they make both 15 and 20 amp receptacles.

Fed-Spec-USB-Charger_Group.jpg

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Are you guys assuming the OP was asking if the USB receptical on the combo counts as the 2nd receptical "needed" to satisfy code when putting a 15 amp device on a dedicated 20 amp circuit?......You all either hijacked the op's thread or deciphered the question way better than I did:)

....or maybe 210.52 is way different in the 2011 than in the 2008. In the 2008 it covers alot of ground.(no, not grounding)

I'm pretty sure he was asking if this one, rated at 15A, could be put on a 20A circuit.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23344609?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Ahh, so it's not a question of whether or not the 15 amp rated 120v standard receptacle half is OK, it's a question of whether or not the 15 amp rated USB receptacle half is allowed on a 20 amp circuit.
It is allowed on a 20 amp circuit but not if there the single recep. is an individual circuit.

The question, in my mind is whether or not the usb constitutes another outlet that does not serve the counter. Remember all kitchen counter receptacles cannot be connected to other outlets unless they serve the ones specified for small appliance branch circuit. The usb does not serve the small appliance branch circuit so is it compliant?

JES2727

The question, in my mind is whether or not the usb constitutes another outlet that does not serve the counter. Remember all kitchen counter receptacles cannot be connected to other outlets unless they serve the ones specified for small appliance branch circuit. The usb does not serve the small appliance branch circuit so is it compliant?

The OP asked about 210.52 in general. I think he was uncertain about the single receptacle satisfying the dwelling unit receptacle requirements.
I believe this post answers the question:

There is no requirement that we install duplex receptacles. You could install single receptacles throughout the entire dwelling if you wanted to.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The OP asked about 210.52 in general. I think he was uncertain about the single receptacle satisfying the dwelling unit receptacle requirements.
I believe this post answers the question:

I agree if that is what he was looking for but I assumed we all knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.