Load Shedding Transfer Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Looking for recommendations on load shedding transfer switches. The only one I know of is Generac.
This would be for residential and commerical apps, not a high end job like a hospital

How many loads do you need to shed? How many can be shed via low voltage relays (like AC units)? How many are higher amperage loads (like electric heat, water heater, stove, etc.)?

360Youth

I will start with the fact that we deal exclusively with Generac. I know/assume other manufacturers offer load shedding, but I couldn't tell you how they compare, but I thought I would offer that Generac's new reisdential ATS has changed the load shedding to be completely low voltage. The previous switch had two 22v controls for the HVAC system and up to four additional 120v that would open/close (normally closed) a 50amp mag starter to load shed additional line voltage circuits. They switched to all low voltage controls to, in theory, simplify the wiring installation process when the desired circuits were not located in close proximity of the ATS. Not sure if that helps with your purchase decision. If you knew all this already. I was never here. :cool:

360Youth, when was this change made?

The Generacs that I have installed recently had Nexus ATS's that could switch 2 low voltage AC condensors and then had spaces to connect 4 modules that could switch 120/240V 50A, they were about $60 per module.

Kohler doesn't do any load shedding in the standard ATS, you have to buy the load shedding module which comes reading to switch higher amperage loads without buying smaller modules.

templdl

One thing that comes to mind is transferring from one energized source to another energized source where an in phase transfer is required.

360Youth

360Youth, when was this change made?

The Generacs that I have installed recently had Nexus ATS's that could switch 2 low voltage AC condensors and then had spaces to connect 4 modules that could switch 120/240V 50A, they were about $60 per module.

Kohler doesn't do any load shedding in the standard ATS, you have to buy the load shedding module which comes reading to switch higher amperage loads without buying smaller modules.

They are out now. Our last shipment to come in are the new machines and switches. That being said, I am not sure if everyone is getting the same stuff at the same time. We are a Premiere dealer and that may or may not mean anything as far as getting anything ahead of anyone else. I doubt it, but I guess it's possible because in January we were told the new models would be a 3rd quarter release.

Status
Not open for further replies.