Kitchen circuit(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have a situation where there are 5 Kitchen countertop receptacles that need to be GFCI protected. This Kitchen is fed with a MWBC.

Instead of replacing all of the receptacles, would a 20A 240V GFI breaker be an option?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a situation where there are 5 Kitchen countertop receptacles that need to be GFCI protected. This Kitchen is fed with a MWBC.

Instead of replacing all of the receptacles, would a 20A 240V GFI breaker be an option?

Thanks in advance

Depending on the way they are wired, you could still just install one replacement receptacle configured for protected feed through and not touch the others at all.
1 is cheaper than 5 and 5 are still cheaper than a breaker.

If the circuit to the receptacles can be isolated so that the neutral feeding it does not go to any other outlets not on that side of the circuit past the point where you put in the first GFCI, then the MWBC will not be an issue. If the outlets alternate and you cannot isolate the neutral for part of the circuit, you will have to put in five GFCI receptacles.

An 240V GFI breaker configured to also terminate the neutral is certainly an option, but an expensive one.

Last edited:

bobbymari

Hit first recept in line with a gfci and go load side to the rest. Thats assuming it is a true small appliance circuit, otherwise single gfci's are not that expensive.

Occupation
Inspector
I was just exploring options. I can replace a breaker much quicker than 5 GFCI receptacles in boxes using 12/3 romex feeding through each box. This is to satisfy a Home Inspection Report.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I was just exploring options. I can replace a breaker much quicker than 5 GFCI receptacles in boxes using 12/3 romex feeding through each box. This is to satisfy a Home Inspection Report.
It will work.
But a nuisance trip anywhere on either side of the MWBC will send your customer to the breaker panel instead of being able to push the reset button on the receptacle he plugged the broken toaster into. :)

Or is your customer the seller?

nizak

If would replace each with a $13 T/R GFCI and call it good. I have done many of these to satisfy Home Inspections. I pigtail and connect to Line Side of each device and have never been called back.For the most part you have an hour or so in the device change out(providing you have box capacity to accommodate the device).2.5" metal boxes, 7 #12's, 2 reds and a GFCI can get a little tight.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Hmmm, open 5 potential cans of worms or replace one breaker, sounds like a no brainer to me. :roll:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
(providing you have box capacity to accommodate the device).

That is the biggest problem with installing GFCI's in older homes. I always use GFI breakers when possible and charge appropriately. It's amazing how small those old boxes can be. When you figure the time it takes to remove the old small capacity box, install a new one and install a GFCI receptacle, the breaker method doesn't seem that expensive.

bobbymari

He also said "depending on how they are wired" If there is 12-3 run between each, then you can not protect all of them with one device.

You are very correct, he did mention that part and I didn't. Although it's been said a couple times now, let me add to original statement. Hit first recepts in line with a gfci and go load side to the rest. This is assuming that the 3 wire branch circuit doesnt continue throughout the kitchen and is actually just a 3 wire branch circuit feed to the kitchen. But we know now this is not the case, therefore moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.