Non-Contact DC tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Has anyone come across a non-contact tester for DC up to 250vdc?

You can easily have a non-contact current sensor for DC, but there is no practical way to sense actual voltage that way that will not be vulnerable to zero drift and false readings. (I suppose you could dangle a static-charged ball from a string, but it would not be practical.)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

SG-1

The gauss is a measure of magnetic field. That is just fine for detecting current, regardless of the voltage or frequency, but will do nothing to detect an energized wire which is not carrying current.

The Mag-Probe primary purpose is to determine if relay coils are energized.
This is the only non-contact DC tester that I know of.

gar

Occupation
EE
130501-2256 EDT

With a 9 v battery, an MPF103 (FET), some resistors and a diode for reverse protection on the gate I can sense fields from a 20 VDC or less source. Also great for static charge sensing on a rubbed glass or plastic rod. For high fields an LED is a useful indicator.

broadgage

I do not believe that a useful non contact DC voltage detector can be made.
Although ways exist of detecting a DC electrostatic field this would not reliably determine if a conductor was energised or not.
Electric fields from static/friction would be far greater and give rise to so many false readings as to render such a device useless.

SG-1

Good point, I have a Fluke 90i610s & 337. Wonderful use of the hall effect.

I would really like to have the non-contact voltmeter that uses the laser beam.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.