Pool bonding/circ/lighting question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello all.

1) Could someone direct me to Mike Holtz cartoon character on pool bonding. Reason I ask is that I remember seeing that the equipotention bond grid and associated bonding of equipment did not need to get tied
into the ground bar of pool associated sub panel (I could be wrong, would like to check).

2) Feed to pool sub panel. Ground needs to be insulated. Does that feed need to be continuous with no splices or are boxes permitted in that run (eg: MC to box to pvc to pool sub panel)?

3) Would other circuits and or switch legs be permitted in that feed conduit?

lastly:

4) Pool light: if a pool light is to be controlled from a switch (single or 3 way) located in a house, can the wiring method be RX or would MC be necessary?

Thanks guys.
Been a while.
Hope all's well and thanks for the help.

Rich

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello all.

1) Could someone direct me to Mike Holtz cartoon character on pool bonding. Reason I ask is that I remember seeing that the equipotention bond grid and associated bonding of equipment did not need to get tied
into the ground bar of pool associated sub panel (I could be wrong, would like to check).
You are correct. The equipotential bonding goes to all metallic parts of the pool making them the same potential. If the pool pump is double insulated then the equipotential bonding would get connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the pump. It does not go to the panel. (680.26(B) -- last sentence)

2) Feed to pool sub panel. Ground needs to be insulated. Does that feed need to be continuous with no splices or are boxes permitted in that run (eg: MC to box to pvc to pool sub panel)?
I don't believe it needs to be continuous. 680.25

3) Would other circuits and or switch legs be permitted in that feed conduit?
Yes as long as the pool panel is installed on the same structure. However look at 680.23(F)(3)

lastly:

4) Pool light: if a pool light is to be controlled from a switch (single or 3 way) located in a house, can the wiring method be RX or would MC be necessary?
The equipment grounding conductor must be unspliced or ... read 680.23(F)(2)

Thanks guys.
Been a while.
Hope all's well and thanks for the help.

Rich[/QUOTE]

ritelec

Thank you Dennis.

3) So as I read it, if the feed for the pool was going from the house to the pool sub panel, it would not be permissible to bring the gfci protected pool light back through that conduit from the sub to the house
for a switch. A separate conduit would be needed.

4) The switch in the house fed from pool panel (alittle confused with the unspliced but thinking that would be to the light), from 680.23.(F)(1), would appear that circ. would need to be in a separate conduit,
and any wiring in the house would need to be wired with an insulated ground (and could be spliced..ground also...at the juction box at the house).

Correct???

Thanks again,
Rich

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
3) So as I read it, if the feed for the pool was going from the house to the pool sub panel, it would not be permissible to bring the gfci protected pool light back through that conduit from the sub to the house
for a switch. A separate conduit would be needed.
That is correct

4) The switch in the house fed from pool panel (alittle confused with the unspliced but thinking that would be to the light), from 680.23.(F)(1), would appear that circ. would need to be in a separate conduit,
and any wiring in the house would need to be wired with an insulated ground (and could be spliced..ground also...at the juction box at the house).
That is how I see it.

Thanks again,
Rich
You're welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.