Cutting in Rocker Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpk

I have a panel that I need to cut 9 rectangular holes for rocker switches. I was thinking drill the 4 corners and use a jigsaw with metal blade. Anybody had luck with anything else, any suggestions ? Thanks in advance

masterinbama

For just a few a jigsaw is your best bet. If you have a lot to do I'll bet greenlee makes a punch since rocker switches all seem to be a standard dimension.

As a side note if you have several control panel covers to do with various size holes I would find a shop with a laser cutter and have them do the layout and cutting.

I recently had one do 36 30" X 30" stainless covers with 38 holes each for about $60 a cover. Each one would take 4 man hours using manual punches and saws.

They did a mock up in a piece of mild steel and let me fab it up with my push buttons and instruments before cutting the real covers.

Aleman

Corner holes and a jigsaw will be fine. Unless it's stainless then a jigsaw might not be too good. I recently had to make cutouts for
an AC unit in a 316SS cabinet. My jigsaw blade lasted about 1 inch. Used a cutoff wheel ok. I hate stainless.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a panel that I need to cut 9 rectangular holes for rocker switches. I was thinking drill the 4 corners and use a jigsaw with metal blade. Anybody had luck with anything else, any suggestions ? Thanks in advance

for just 9 holes it is probably not worth buying a punch.

depending on the size of the holes sometimes you can take out most of the metal with standard hole punches and finish it off with a jigsaw.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Aluminum is tough on blades too, clogs them up.

I like the idea of a shop doing it, probably wouldn't cost that much. The thing with the jig saw, and it could just be me, but if your hands aren't steady, you might make five good cut's ant then mess up one and you know then that you'll be unhappy.

Are you using rocker switches for any special reason? Toggles would be easier to install.

Occupation
professional welder
I don't think the jigsaw will be the best option. There are some other cutting tools available in the market which you can try for steady and precision cutting. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.