power to electric gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

j rae

I need to supply 120volts and 20 amps to power a gate that is a half mile from my service. I have calculated the voltage drop and the wire size came out to be #250 with a 2.85% voltage drop. Thinking about a transformer. My service is 120/240. Any ideas ??????

kwired

Electron manager
My limited experience with these gates is they are powered by a 12 or 24 volt battery and your ac power primarily supplies a battery charger which doesn't draw much current. Do you know for certain what you are powering at this point? When you say 120 volts 20 amps that sounds to me like you intend to have a 20 amp circuit but doesn't necessarily mean this circuit will see 20 amps all that often if ever.

A small PV system to power a battery charger could be the best thing for this application.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would also vote for a PV charged battery system if it is viable.

If you are trapped into a 120V circuit, I would boost it up to 600V and back down to 120 at the end. That would reduce your current requirements by a factor of 5. You would probably end up with #6 or even 8 if you let the voltage sag some. The gate probably won't care.

Last edited:

templdl

I would also vote for a PV charged battery system if it is viable.

If you are trapped into a 120V circuit, I would boost it up to 600V and back down to 120 at the end. That would reduce your current requirements by a factor of 5. You would probably end up with #6 or even 8 if you let the voltage sag some. The gate probably won't care.

I would go with the 120-600-120 myself. When it comes down to it what it may cost for 2 transformers may be off set by the savings in the cost for the wire. The transformer doesn't have to be rated for 20a either just enough for the load.
Anyway, there is also the thought about what the owner can afford. An electric Gate 1/2 mile away one would think that they could afford to do it the right way. Would they want to add a few post lamps along the way by using a small 600-120 transformer at each post.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would go with the 120-600-120 myself. When it comes down to it what it may cost for 2 transformers may be off set by the savings in the cost for the wire. The transformer doesn't have to be rated for 20a either just enough for the load.
Anyway, there is also the thought about what the owner can afford. An electric Gate 1/2 mile away one would think that they could afford to do it the right way. Would they want to add a few post lamps along the way by using a small 600-120 transformer at each post.

Since you have to trench anyway, maybe you should ask if they want an intercom or CCTV system added. :)

Besoeker

My limited experience with these gates is they are powered by a 12 or 24 volt battery and your ac power primarily supplies a battery charger which doesn't draw much current.
You have a point. At 120V and 20A that sounds much too much for the motor for a gate.
A small PV system to power a battery charger could be the best thing for this application.
And save half a mile of cabling and associated installation.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You have a point. At 120V and 20A that sounds much too much for the motor for a gate.

I was once told that installing UF UG was about $2 a foot, not counting the cable. half a mile is 2600+ feet. that's a lot of shovel work.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the owner also wants remote control of the gate from the house, 1/2 mile may be a little long for RF remote unless directional antennas are used. Just keep that in mind. (Point-to-point WiFi could allow for CCTV and intercom better than wired would).

templdl

Since you have to trench anyway, maybe you should ask if they want an intercom or CCTV system added. :)

grear idea, that's selling up. Making these suggestion is being proactive. If you don't say anything the owner may get 20/20 hindsight I should have could have. You would be saving on trenching charges as well as the possibility of damage being do to you work should an additional trench be dug if the owner decides to bury wire in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.