Typically, the bathrooms are classified as damp, because
of the [ potential ] for high humidity conditions [ RE:
Bathroom & toilet rooms exhaust capabilities, Section
M1507.3 & Table M1507.3, `06 IRC ]

: - :

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Is a bathroom inside a house classified as a dry, damp or wet location?
I do not believe there is a noted classification, but I would say dry, since it should be a conditioned space.
Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations, and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses.
Location, Dry. A location not normally subject to dampness or wetness. A location classified as dry may be temporarily subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a building under construction.
Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Typically, the bathrooms are classified as damp, because
of the [ potential ] for high humidity conditions [ RE:
Bathroom & toilet rooms exhaust capabilities, Section
M1507.3 & Table M1507.3, `06 IRC ]

I would disagree with that. Bathrooms are not required to have damp rated fixtures unless they are in a shower stall and many of them may need to be rated wet location. 410.10(D)

(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall.

Luminaires
located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top
of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to
shower spray.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I vote for dry based on Dennis' response about fixture types outside of the tub or shower footprint.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree with Dennis and Rob.

If a bathroom were considered a damp location, wouldn't we have to put weatherproof covers over all the receptacles?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.