Cam-lock connectors and alumnium wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is already a current thread here with the same question. Are you asking about the panel mount connectors or the cord mount? The panel mount have a brass stud you can bolt a standard lug to so you can use what ever wire your lug is rated for. The cord connectors are designed for flexible cord which is only avalable in copper.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Cord mounted. I'll look for the other thread. I remember seeing another thread recently about some grounding connectors and alumnium wire, but I haven't seen the one about cam locks.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Also, does anyone know if cam locks from different manufacturers are interchangable?

For example, will a Hubbell male fit with a Cooper female? I assume they would all be made to some standard so they can interconnect, but I'm not sure.

AFAIK, all camloks of the same series (usually 1016) are interchangeable, at least I've never run into any that weren't. As for cord-mounted connectors and aluminum wire- don't :). (Although I've yet to find a definitively listing that they're OK for copper cable, either.)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
AFAIK, all camloks of the same series (usually 1016) are interchangeable, at least I've never run into any that weren't. As for cord-mounted connectors and aluminum wire- don't :). (Although I've yet to find a definitively listing that they're OK for copper cable, either.)

Well, they have to be good for some kind of wire, right? :)

And yes, 1016's were what I had in mind.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Steve, do you have a link to aluminum flexible cord? The NEC doesn't list any acceptable aluminum flexible cables. I can't imagine how you could make a flexible aluminum cable that didn't break after 1 or 2 bends.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Steve, do you have a link to aluminum flexible cord? The NEC doesn't list any acceptable aluminum flexible cables. I can't imagine how you could make a flexible aluminum cable that didn't break after 1 or 2 bends.

Ok point taken. I'm an engineer - so I don't get hands on with aluminum wire very often. (Okay - never with alumnium.) And not that much for copper either.

But now you have me wondering -really, really wondering:

Can these even be used on standard wire like #3 or 3/0? Or are they meant to be used with something more flexible? Like DLO or something like that? :ashamed1:

The flexibility issue had crossed my mind before, but the cam-locks were a suggestion by someone else who is actually going to have to use them. I assumed they knew how infexible the wire would be.

In my world, I almost never specify anything but standard thhn/thwn or xhhw, or something similar. But now I'm thinking the person who asked for cam-locks probably never sees anything but flexible cable in their world.

Steve

Can these even be used on standard wire like #3 or 3/0?
Probably, they use a good-sized set screw. No idea about actual listings.

Or are they meant to be used with something more flexible?
Definitely meant for flexible cable like SC/ENT. They usually come with copper foil shims intended to be wrapped around fine-stranded cable before tightening.

But now I'm thinking the person who asked for cam-locks probably never sees anything but flexible cable in their world.

That's also likely.

BTW, the manufacturer's ampacity tables match the 400.5 tables. I also note that AFAICT art. 400 doesn't mention conductor type (cu/al).

iwire

Staff member
Cam locs are designed to be used with portable power cable, not building wire.

It would be no different than trying to put a plug on romex.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Cam locs are designed to be used with portable power cable, not building wire.

It would be no different than trying to put a plug on romex.

Seems obvious in hindsight, but you know what they say about hindsight.

You would think Cooper might mention that somewhere in an 80 page cam lock catalog, just to warn unsuspecting engineers.

iwire

Staff member
Seems obvious in hindsight, but you know what they say about hindsight.

You would think Cooper might mention that somewhere in an 80 page cam lock catalog, just to warn unsuspecting engineers.

None of know about things we have not worked with and there are many electricians that would not know that.:)

I was once given a 60 amp pin and sleeve connector to place on the end of a 6-4 NM. Not a fun thing to do and definitely outside the listing. It was temp so I was told not to worry about, that did not make it any easier to make up the connector that was designed for fine strand wiring.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I sent the following question to Cooper:

"What type of cables are cam lock connectors listed for use with?"

After 2 days I got a response that only included a like to the same 80 page catalog I had already seen that only says "Accepts wire sizes #8-800MCM". :rant:

I asked the same question through a distributor who replied "type W" power cable.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.