Dual Voltage rated LV cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

A customertoday askedme what the voltage rating on our landscape cable is. I started saying 30v and he said/questioned 120volts. I said no way, not 120. Sure enough the cable said both 30v and 150v! This is from Southwire, the cable we've been selling is from Carrol and that only says 30v's. Aside from feeling like an idiot in front of this guy, why would this cable has a dual rating?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A customertoday askedme what the voltage rating on our landscape cable is. I started saying 30v and he said/questioned 120volts. I said no way, not 120. Sure enough the cable said both 30v and 150v! This is from Southwire, the cable we've been selling is from Carrol and that only says 30v's. Aside from feeling like an idiot in front of this guy, why would this cable has a dual rating?

SWAG: It was just as cheap for Southwire to build the landscape cable with the necessary moisture and UV resistance by using their standard zip cord insulation rather than using lower voltage insulation. And either they could get more for it by labeling it as landscape cable or the landscapers were used to seeing the 30V stamp and would not buy without it?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Just got back from checking Soutwire's website for landscape cable ratings. None of the four types returned by a search for landscape cable mentioned anything about 30V/150V dual voltage rating. However, the Low Energy Circuit Cable / Type UF Single Conductor is rated 150V/600V, respective of slash in type description.

Do you know what "model" cable it is?

mark32

Thanks for the replies. First, I apologize for my lack of spacing at the beginning of my post. The pos computer I was using apparently has a temperamental space bar. Ok, I'm leaving work now but I'll check the cable for more info tomorrow and post again. Thanks again, Mark

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just got back from checking Soutwire's website for landscape cable ratings. None of the four types returned by a search for landscape cable mentioned anything about 30V/150V dual voltage rating. However, the Low Energy Circuit Cable / Type UF Single Conductor is rated 150V/600V, respective of slash in type description.

Do you know what "model" cable it is?

First search entry I found for "site:southwire.com landscape" was this low voltage cable whose description stated "up to 150 volts" Nothing about 30/150, but maybe at some point they dual marked it?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
150 volts UL listed (USA) but only 30 volts cUL listed (Canada). So if you use in here it's 150 volt Underground Low-Energy Circuit Cable but in Canada you can only use it to 30 volts where its listed as Low-Voltage Landscape Lighting (LVLL) wire.

-Hal

mark32

150 volts UL listed (USA) but only 30 volts cUL listed (Canada). So if you use in here it's 150 volt Underground Low-Energy Circuit Cable but in Canada you can only use it to 30 volts where its listed as Low-Voltage Landscape Lighting (LVLL) wire.

-Hal

Thanks for the info hbiss. As a side note, I found out the next day that the customer interested in this cable tried stealing it from the store. He stashed two 500' rolls of it in an adjacent department but an associate discovered it before he could come back at a later time, LOSER. While on the topic of stealing here @ HD, a guy filled a garbage can full of electrical tools and tried to pay for just the can. The cashier attempted to pick up the can and noticed it weighed a ton. She took the lid off the can and the guys says, "Oh, one of your guys must have put that stuff in there". He then told the cashier he still wanted the can but left before she finished ringing it up. Well over $1,000 in assorted tools that were recovered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.