NEC 225.32 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepjr71

I have a 480V system. The Unit substation is located in 1 building with a 2 parallel circuit breakers feeding another building that has an automatic transfer switch. In the building recieving the parallel feeds the contractor has not provided a means of disconnect for each circuit.

My question is this: Even if the system is all under 1 management are disconnects required somewhere in my new building? My interpretation if 225.32 is that even with an Exception met a disconnect is still required somewhere in the new structure, it just doesn't have to be right where the service comes in the building. The Contractor is stating that because the entire system is monitored by the client, Exception 1, the only disconnect means required would be the circuit breakers located in the other building on the Unit Substation. Which one of us is right?

davepjr71

I'd like to add another question. If I have a substation that feeds a transformer and then a Unit substation. Would anything coming off of the unit substaiton to another building be a service conductor or a branch feeder?

davepjr71

Also, because I have my own supply system with 15 kv SWGR, step down transformer and Unit substation would the conductors be considered branch or service?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I read the exception as not requiring a means of disconnect at the second building or structure.

All power circuit conductors on the load side of the service disconnect are feeders or branch circuits. (I include tap conductors and transformer secondary conductors under the term feeders)

davepjr71

Thank you for your response. I've just never seen an installation that doesn't have a means of disconnect at the other end. To me, it would be like saying you don't need a switch on your barn, or large shed. because there is a breaker in the house. But I always seem breaker boxes, or switches, in the 2nd building.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Also, because I have my own supply system with 15 kv SWGR, step down transformer and Unit substation would the conductors be considered branch or service?

See Article 100, all of these items are defined there.

Services only come from 'power companies.
Branch circuits are after the last overcurrent protective device, see definition in Article 100.

Transformer secondaries are called separately derived systems.
Circuits feeding other protective devices are called feeders.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We has a meeting and the cmp members agreed that the disconnect for a separate structure did not need to be at that building.

Status
Not open for further replies.