PVC DUCT BANK

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Are chairs used in conjunction with spacers or are they one in the same? Any pic of a duct bank chair? Thanks,

mstrlucky74

Carlon's website has a lot of information. I believe the 'formal' nomenclature is Duct Spacer.
db

I looked there. I asked because I was looking at a material list that had Carlon intermediate & base spacers(which I'm familiar with) but then had Carlon chairs as a separate line item.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I looked there. I asked because I was looking at a material list that had Carlon intermediate & base spacers(which I'm familiar with) but then had Carlon chairs as a separate line item.

Chairs stand alone for a single horizontal layer of pipe, while base spacers go at the bottom of a rectangle of intermediate spacers to add additional horizontal layers?

mstrlucky74

Chairs stand alone for a single horizontal layer of pipe, while base spacers go at the bottom of a rectangle of intermediate spacers to add additional horizontal layers?

Thanks. Trying to picture this. Happen to have a pic of these chairs? Can't find them on Carlon site.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks. Trying to picture this. Happen to have a pic of these chairs? Can't find them on Carlon site.

The word chair is, I think, more often used in reference to rebar than to pipe or conduit, but the same principle applies.

Here is a one type of rebar chair. 383444023_457.JPG

I could not quickly find images for conduit or pipe chairs, but the principle is very similar. Another distinction that I think can be made is that a chair will stand without falling over before the pipe is laid on it, while a spacer depends on the presence of the pipe to keep it in position.

I expect these look similar to the Carlon you looked at.

mstrlucky74

The word chair is, I think, more often used in reference to rebar than to pipe or conduit, but the same principle applies.

Here is a one type of rebar chair. View attachment 8492

I could not quickly find images for conduit or pipe chairs, but the principle is very similar. Another distinction that I think can be made is that a chair will stand without falling over before the pipe is laid on it, while a spacer depends on the presence of the pipe to keep it in position.

I expect these look similar to the Carlon you looked at.

Thanks so using a chair and a spacer together does NOT make sense? That's what I'm getting from this....it's either or????

mstrlucky74

But can't a base spacer be used for a single horizontal layer of pipe? If you want to stack pipes on top you would use an intermediate space?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
But can't a base spacer be used for a single horizontal layer of pipe? If you want to stack pipes on top you would use an intermediate space?
Depends on the design of the particular system. Some base spacers may be able to stay in place by themselves, others would require both a base and an intermediate for a single layer of pipe.
In the picture, the exact same part serves both purposes and it spring fits onto the pipe.

BJ Conner

Chairs or Spacers

Chairs or Spacers

Chairs or spacers I have heard them called both.
They hold the ducts up and in the correct relative position.
MAKE SURE YOU ANCHOR THE DUCT BANK DOWN. Ducts will float in concrete. Not a happy sight to see all your ducts float to the top of the concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.