Mobil Home changed from gas to all electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUNNING

Ive got a customer that wants his doublewide 3000 sq ft MH with gas appliances changed to all electric. The existing Water heater is electric but the heating, range and stove are gas. They want to remove the existing gas stove top and oven and install a new electric oven, electric stove top, and microwave plus an electric heatpump package unit outside removing the existing inside gas furnace and condenser. I figure it will be an additional 22.5 kw at 35% or 32 amps increase on the service overall. It was built in 86 and has a 100 amp panel inside off of a 150 amp service.
I can't find the boiler plate with the service size for the home because they covered it up with a mud room. I am pretty sure the MH mfg figured on maximizing the size of the inside panel. Can I run the new appliances off the outside service panel? Should I increase the size of the panel inside and run them from inside? Should I run the new appliances off of the existing 100 amp panel? They would be removing 2 1500 watt small appliance circuits or 3000 watts. They want to replace it with a stove, microwave, and oven, or 13Kw. Is this possible given the boilerplate and that I am not a MH mfg? It would only be 35% of the 13Kw or 19 amp calculated additional load on the inside panel.

Q: can I run the new appliances inside from the outside panel ?
Q: can I increase the size of the inside service (and feeder) and run the new appliances from that, even though the boiler plate is obscured, but we know it is 100 amp?
Q: can I do a new load calculation on the MH and use that to justify the service size and still be legal?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Q: can I run the new appliances inside from the outside panel ? No.
Q: can I increase the size of the inside service (and feeder) and run the new appliances from that, even though the boiler plate is obscured, but we know it is 100 amp? You didn't say what the feeder is, i.e. size, type, ampacity. BTW, the inside panel is not, in Code speak, an "inside service". If your calculated load goes over 100A or the feeder ampacity if less than 100A, you have no choice other than upping the feeder size... but you do have the option to install a second panel and tap the original to upsized feeder, and another tap for the new panel.
Q: can I do a new load calculation on the MH and use that to justify the service size and still be legal? Actually no compliant way to not do a new load calculation!!!
Answers within quote.

growler

They would be removing 2 1500 watt small appliance circuits or 3000 watts. They want to replace it with a stove, microwave, and oven, or 13Kw.

How can you remove "required" small appliance ciruits? Even if you only have 2 receptacles for the kitchen then you are required to have 2 small appliance circuits.

kwired

Electron manager
How can you remove "required" small appliance ciruits? Even if you only have 2 receptacles for the kitchen then you are required to have 2 small appliance circuits.
You are required to have at least 2 SABC's but can have more, therefore if there is currently 4 SABC's you could remove 2

As far as nameplate of a mobile home, once you make modifications, forget the nameplate, it is no longer accurate or valid.

I don't know rules for remodeling mobile homes and maintaining any mobile home certification standards. Some places are particular about these kind of things. As far as I'm concerned, once you start changing things you no longer have a mobile home with same certifications that it left the factory with. No different than putting aftermarket parts or accessories on a vehicle, or modifying a UL listed piece of equipment.

north star

: - :

In some states, ...the MH's are regulated by a state
level agency rather than a local municipality......That's
the way it is in this state......All MH's are inspected by
the state for compliance.....This includes all modifications
and additions [ electrical, HVAC, structural, other ].
If you do not already know who has oversight on MH's,
you may want to research it... :thumbsup:

: - :

Status
Not open for further replies.