Burn Loops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you ever installed what is referred to as " burn loops" in nm cable or romex on residential wiring?
This is the loop left above a device box for future use in case of a burn out device which damages wiring and a littlw more conductor length is needed. I am having a issue whith a local inspector about this.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Conductor length is specified in 300.14. Anything beyond that is not required.

Welcome to the Forum.

No, I've never had an inspector mention "burn loops".

I may have found them during remodels/gut jobs but I certainly couldn't be sure.

We are required to provide 6" of conductor protruding past the front edge of an outlet box. Our wiring leading to the boxes shouldn't be stretched tight.

I want to see the "burn loop" suggested diagram when conductors are run in conduit:lol:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've seen them used on fixtures where there is a chance that they might have to relocate them. Funny, if I asked someone to leave an extra foot or two of cable, I'd never hear the end of how much material cost, yet I see contractors do it all the time.

iwire

Staff member
I may be reading it wrong but I got the impression the OP wants to leave a loop and the inspector has an issue with it. I assume due to the securing requirements.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I've wondered if securing romex within 12" of an outlet means within 12" of actual cable or within 12" "as the crow flies" from the outlet box.

My assumption is that it means within 12" of cable of the place where it enters the box (and is secured by the box clamping means).
Is the burn loop supposed to be behind the box where it does not get in the way and can be pulled forward as needed?
If it is back there, I can see a cable length problem for the 12" securing.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I may be reading it wrong but I got the impression the OP wants to leave a loop and the inspector has an issue with it. I assume due to the securing requirements.

You're right I missed the part where the OP stated above the box. :roll:

As long as the cable is properly secured it shouldn't be an issue.

I've wondered if securing romex within 12" of an outlet means within 12" of actual cable or within 12" "as the crow flies" from the outlet box.

My assumption is that it means within 12" of cable of the place where it enters the box (and is secured by the box clamping means).
Is the burn loop supposed to be behind the box where it does not get in the way and can be pulled forward as needed?
If it is back there, I can see a cable length problem for the 12" securing.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by GoldDigger
My assumption is that it means within 12" of the place where it enters the box (and is secured by the box clamping means).

Hmmmm...you agreed, but you changed his quote and that changed the meaning!:p

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
we leave an extra loop above every box because its nice to have a little extra when the sheetrockers get their routers into the wire.no matter how far you push the wires back into the box the sheetrockers around here seem to always damage them,i have never heard them called a burn loop

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I never heard the term "burn loop". Maybe a better term would be "goof loop" to cover all the bases. I can think of a lot of cases where this would be advantageous. But I'm not sure there is a code compliant way to accomplish this. I have to admit I like the idea, of course this comes from one that is not a big fan of cable type wiring methods, for most applictions, in general.

jumper

We are required to provide 6" of conductor protruding past the front edge of an outlet box. Our wiring leading to the boxes shouldn't be stretched tight.

Actually, that is not what 300.14 says.

300.14 Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions,
and Switch Points. At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free
conductor, measured from the point in the box where it
emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each
outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection
of luminaires or devices. Where the opening to an outlet, junction,
or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension,
each conductor shall be long enough to extend at least
75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening.

Actually, that is not what 300.14 says.

300.14 Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions,
and Switch Points. At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free
conductor, measured from the point in the box where it
emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each
outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection
of luminaires or devices. Where the opening to an outlet, junction,
or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension,
each conductor shall be long enough to extend at least
75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening.

Thanks Jumper...one of those codes I've never actually bothered to read myself. I can't believe I've been wasting all that wire this whole time.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.