AFCI and the NJ Rehab Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Hello! I have a question that I was hoping someone could clear up.

I am adding 3 new circuits in a house for air conditioners. In the future the customer may want to upgrade to 240V AC units so I will install a new receptacle at the location of each unit.

Do I have to use AFCI breakers? If so, would it make any difference if I installed a single receptacle (opposed to a duplex)?

I think I may have just lost $150 on this job :(

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Hello! I have a question that I was hoping someone could clear up.

I am adding 3 new circuits in a house for air conditioners. In the future the customer may want to upgrade to 240V AC units so I will install a new receptacle at the location of each unit.

Do I have to use AFCI breakers? If so, would it make any difference if I installed a single receptacle (opposed to a duplex)?

I think I may have just lost $150 on this job :(

Since you are adding circuits it is required,If it where just a panel and no additional circuits not required

Vector

Since you are adding circuits it is required,If it where just a panel and no additional circuits not required

Thanks for the reply.

It just seems a little screwy because when a customer tore down the drywall I was able to rewire the house (and in the process add more circuits) without needing AFCIs. But adding a new circuit old work style requires them :?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
NJ rehab code from the UCC:

26. As specified in Section 210.12 of the electrical subcode, Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter (AFCI)
Protection shall be required for all newly installed (not replacement) branch circuits in dwelling units provided
a listed combination type arc fault circuit interrupter breaker is available.

hotwire1955

NJ rehab code from the UCC:

Not so, read NJ UCC 5:23-3.16 Electrical Subcode and under Rehab code 5:23-6.8 (d)3 Electrical Materials and Methods, all of Chapter 2 Wiring and Protection shall be followed except Sections 210.11 Branch circuits Required
210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit Interupter Protection and 210.52 210.60 210.62 210.63 210.70

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not so, read NJ UCC 5:23-3.16 Electrical Subcode and under Rehab code 5:23-6.8 (d)3 Electrical Materials and Methods, all of Chapter 2 Wiring and Protection shall be followed except Sections 210.11 Branch circuits Required
210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit Interupter Protection and 210.52 210.60 210.62 210.63 210.70

I'm confused, how do any of those sections get you around the one I previously posted #26 which is listed in 5:23-6.9?

? 5:23-6.9 New building elements
(a) When the rehabilitation of an existing building creates or includes any building element of a type listed
in this section, then the new element shall comply with the requirements for such an element established by
this section.
26. As specified in Section 210.12 of the electrical subcode, Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter (AFCI)
Protection shall be required for all newly installed (not replacement) branch circuits in dwelling units provided
a listed combination type arc fault circuit interrupter breaker is available.

Vector

It would save me a lot of money if Hotwire had a loophole so I am rooting for him :thumbsup:

What I don't understand is how you are allowed to rewire a house and not put AFCIs in. It's not like they are rewiring the house in the exact same way. When they are rewiring an old house with only a 15a circuit in the kitchen, I'm sure new circuits are being installed.

RICK NAPIER

infinity is correct 6.9 New Building Elements are additional requirements above and beyond 6.8 Materials and Methods. An interesting point to note is the last line "provideda listed combination type arc fault circuit interrupter breaker is available." So if it is an antiquated panel no AFCI protection is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.