Sub panel feed wires are called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I have a sub panel feed from panel i will call panel A that is supplied from a transfer switch, 400 amp main in panel A , 100 amp breaker feeding sub panel. Are the conductors feeding the sub panel feeders? The ARt 100 definition of feeders has me confused. Is panel A the other power supply source refered to in the definition?
Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Here is a simple way to look at it:
(1) The wires that come into the building from the utility are "service conductors."
(2) The wires from the ultimate load (receptacle, light, etc.) back to the upstream breaker are "branch circuit conductors."
(3) All wires in between these two are "feeder conductors."

In your situation, panel A is not a power supply source. It distributes power from upstream to downstream, but it does not generate power. The definition is referring to things like a UPS, or a motor generator set, or an inverter.

Last edited:

arnettda

Here is a simple way to look at it:
(1) The wires that come into the building from the utility are "service conductors."
(2) The wires from the ultimate load (receptacle, light, etc.) back to the upstream breaker are "branch circuit conductors."
(3) All wires in between these two are "feeder conductors."

In your situation, panel A is not a power supply source. It distributes power from upstream to downstream, but it does not generate power. The definition is referring to things like a UPS, or a motor generator set, or an inverter.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.